DMCA Not just for youtube now.

Home Forums Video Gaming! DMCA Not just for youtube now.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gravekeep Gravekeep 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of jsc315
    jsc315

as a trademark for the design, sure, but I am pretty positive the DMCA does not work in this context at all. So I don’t know if the writer of this article here is just a idiot or Activision have no idea what they are doing. No where in the article is the DMCA even mentioned, so i have no clue what is happening.

Assets such as drawings, models and the like can easily be protected under a trademark and if that is the case, then you MUST go after someone that has similar design in fear of loosing that trademark and if that happens then eventually will have less and less of a case of being able to own that trademark, thus making your trademark null.

Profile photo of jdon79
    jdon79

that might not have been the same article I found this morning. Basically Activision filed a DMCA claim on Trek Industries’ Orion claiming a that a gun Orion has is a blatent rip off of a fun in COD black ops 3. So Steam pulled Orion off of steam as a result.

Profile photo of hrotgarmr
    hrotgarmr

I’m just gonna leave this here:

Trek Versus Activision: How Orion Went From Victim To Villain In One Night

Looks like they brought this on themselves.
    Nobody has to like Activision, but they are completely in the right here.

Profile photo of Martin Ellis
    mellisbaker

I’ve been following this story a bit on NeoGaf, the evidence shows quite a bit of ‘borrowing’. I think what really got me was the blatant helmet rips they did. Surprised Disney haven’t jumped on this too. Read the article hrotgarmr posted, its quite an interesting read.

Profile photo of jdon79
    jdon79

So with this new Turn of events. Perhaps activision is justified. Any company regardless of who or reasons should handle things like this personally and resort to this kind of measure if the wrong-doer won’t accommodate. but going for the DMCA without warning, that’s just dickish in my book.

Profile photo of Martin Ellis
    mellisbaker

@jdon79 Honestly, I don’t think we are hearing the full story from the developer regarding this DMCA. Activision could have been trying to reach this joker to no avail and had to result to a DMCA in the end.

Profile photo of TJgalon
    TJgalon

The Know, talked about this, posting some good points, and quotes from the dev too.

Profile photo of Gravekeep
    Gravekeep

It reminds me of something that happened in the RPG Maker community earlier this month, where a prolific asset seller was found to have copied art from deviantart, other tileset creators, and even Nintendo games. A lot of people who had spent up to 60$ for what they thought were professional original assets ended up having to redo their projects, in addition to being out 60 bucks.
    I support what Activision has done, but looking at these two cases back to back makes me anticipate sweeping DMCA notices taking down multiple games in the future. It may be fair I suppose, but sad none the less.
    The worst part is in cases like these, even if you can only identify a couple items as stolen, you have to err on the side of caution and assume it all could be.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.