Four Swords VGA Playthrough Statistics (Now with Charts!)

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! Four Swords VGA Playthrough Statistics (Now with Charts!)

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Urban Banner UrbanBanner 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of halycon22
    halycon22

Last time I watched the crew’s Four Swords playthrough I had a lot of unanswered questions. Who won the most? What contributed the most to one’s total score? Who scored the most points overall? How many times was Deacon voted Hero of Darkness? So this past weekend I skimmed through the playthrough and gathered end-stage statistics. Best of all these statistics are complete as they even include the final stage which I determined fairly accurately. Though that doesn’t mean there aren’t any errors. So take these stats with a grain of salt. Here is a link to the google doc with all the statistics. Charts are at the bottom of the doc. The following is just a basic overview.

For those unfimiliar with the game, Four Swords is a co-opetition game where a team of four cooperates to proceed in the stages and story but is rewarded and ranked individually at the end of each stage based on their actions. The in-game stats include Most Enemies Defeated, Most Hearts Remaining, Lives Lost, Hero of Darkness, Hero of Light, Force Gems and Total Score. For Enemies and Hearts, the player with the most is rewarded 300 points, second most is rewarded 150, 3rd most is rewarded with 50 and 4th most receives no points. Ties are possible. For each life lost, a player loses 100 points. For Hero of Darkness and Light, players vote who bothered or helped them respectively. One vote is worth 100 points for Light and -100 for Darkness, two votes is worth +/- 300 points and three votes is worth +/- 500 points. (Accordingly, Becky’s strategy for voting someone for both Darkness and Light only evens out if the player receives the same votes for both Darkness and Light.) For force gems, players receive one point for each force gem collected. Finally, a player’s total score is just the summation of the aforementioned stats.

Overall the crew collected 106081 force gems earning a total of 118651 points. The average player collected 1105 force gems per stage earning 1236 total points. Ben collected the most force gems in a level with 3443 in level 5 stage 3 while also earning the least with 94 in level 2 stage 2. Becky earned the highest score in a level with 3089 in level 5 stage 2 with Deacon earning the lowest with -1172 in level 8 stage 3. Ben was first overall 10 times, followed by Becky with 8 and then by Deacon and Fraser with 3 each. Becky had the longest winning streak with four wins from level 6 stage 3 to level 7 stage 3 while Deacon had the biggest losing streak with no wins for thirteen stages from level 4 stage 3 to level 8 stage 3. Interestingly, the difference of lives lost for a stage for the top player and the second player never exceeded one.

The strongest overall player was Ben. Ben collected on average 1393 force gems per stage, with Becky collecting 1154, Fraser 965 and Deacon 907. Ben usually had the most hearts remaining and tied with Deacon with earning 300 points for defeating the most enemies. He also died the least with 22 total deaths, followed by Becky with 29, Fraser with 36 and Deacon with 52. Ben’s average score totaled to 1543, then Becky with 1510, Fraser with 1034 and Deacon with 856.

For Hero of Darkness, Becky earned 8 total votes winning 0 times; Ben earned a total of 30 votes winning 9 times; Fraser earned a total of 25 votes winning 5 times; and Deacon earned 33 votes winning 13 times. For Hero of Light, Becky earned a total of 43 votes winning 16 times; Ben earned a total of 15 votes winning 5 times; Fraser earned a total of 18 votes winning 4 times; and Deacon earned a total 20 votes winning 6 times. Nevertheless, votes, score and wins for Hero of Darkness and Light are not strongly correlated (the correlations coefficients are -0.2637, 0.207 and -0.23 respectively; just as a note, for correlation, the closer the absolute value of the coefficient is to 1 the stronger the correlation).

For the average score build, killing the most enemies made up 7% of Becky’s score, 10% of Ben’s, 12% of Fraser’s and 17% of Deacon’s. Having the most hearts remaining made up 10% of Becky’s score, 12% of Ben’s, 12% Fraser’s and 13% of Deacon’s. Losing lives and being voted for Hero of Darkness would lose Becky 9% of her score, Ben 13%, Fraser 22% and Deacon 34%. Being voted for Hero of Light made up 17% of Becky’s score, 5% of Ben’s, 8% of Fraser’s and 12% of Deacon’s. Finally, force gems would contribute to Becky 76% of her score, Ben 90%, Fraser 93% and Deacon 95%.

Last but not least: strategy. If someone were to play this game and wanted to score the most, what could they do? Statistically speaking, the number of force gems one has is strongly correlated to ones final score (the coefficient is around 0.819). Hero of Darkness and Hearts Remaining are somewhat correlated to one’s final score (0.397 and 0.277 respectively). Least correlated are Enemies Defeated and Hero of Light to ones final score (0.158 and 0.174 respectively). Probabilistically, if someone were to be 1st in X, what would their chances of winning overall be? For X = Enemies Defeated, one has a 42.3% chance. For X = Hearts Remaining, one has a 36.7% chance. For X = Hero of Darkness, one has a 7.4% chance. For X = Hero of Light, one has a 32.3% chance. Finally, for X = force gems, one has a 62.5% chance. Accordingly, to optimize their score, one could act greedily by collecting the most force gems, defeating the most enemies, avoiding death and injury and disregard public opinion, a la Ben; or, one could act politically by gaining favor from the group while trying to collect the most force gems, a la Becky. Either way force gems are major factor in determining the winner.

And that’s it pretty much. If you are a stats nerd, the google doc has more stats and can be edited by anyone. You could make your own stats if you want. Thanks for reading!

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of halycon22 halycon22. Reason: Added Charts to Google Doc
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of Urban Banner
    UrbanBanner

Nice collection of statistics! But I would love to see them in nice pie or line charts, if you want to go the extra mile, to illustrate the points even better.

Profile photo of missblow
    missblow

Oh man! This must have taken so much time! I love it though! Pie or line charts would totally make my nerdy mouth water, haha.

Profile photo of halycon22
    halycon22

Glad you both like it. I think this might become a pet project of mine where I gather data from VGA’s multiplayer playthroughs. I watch certain playthroughs every so often anyway. Besides, it’s fun to back-up or dispel one’s intuitions with some hard numbers and facts. Next I plan to tackle the Quiplash playthroughs and eventually the rest of the Jackbox games, Smash Bros., Playstation Allstars and the like.

That’s some incredible dedication! Great Job! Can’t even imagine where you’d begin with collecting data for this O_o. When I saw the title I thought that this was an old thread that had been revived, Nice to see something from so long ago pop up again!

Four Swords Adventures was a great game to watch them go through :D Here’s hoping they play the original Four Swords someday (or maybe they don’t know it exists? kind of always wondered that since they did just call the Youtube series “Four Swords”)

Profile photo of lionheart21
    lionheart21

As someone who’s gained a new appreciation for Statistics over the past few months, this is pretty damn impressive, man. Nice job.

Profile photo of Urban Banner
    UrbanBanner

Aww yeah, that’s more like it! Thanks halycon22!

I like the fact that Deacon beat Fraser in both Hero of Darkness and Light charts. I actually thought Fraser beat Deacon for the Hero of Light.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.