Half Life?

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! Half Life?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of LambdaPyro LambdaPyro 7 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of Groovy
    Groovy

One day I found myself browsing on YouTube and I stumbled upon an old show and trailer where the crew watches a trailer for Black Mesa (a remake of the original Half Life). Fraser said that he wants to eventually play Black Mesa and maybe Half Life 2 on the show once Black Mesa comes out. I thought about it for a bit and i realized how badly I want to see Fraser play this on the show. Just think about it, VGA/AVG has been a thing for over 10 years and they haven’t even touched one of the worlds greatest game franchise, Half Life.
    Now that Black Mesa is early access on Steam and very close to being done i’m wondering if Fraser will follow through with what he said, once Black Mesa is finished. If anyone feels the same way about this please let me know

Last of Us & Half Life?! – Wii U Special Show and Trailer! – Part 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HaJMrZoIeA

P.S Not only did I make this thread to talk about a potential Half Life show but to create a sort of Half Life hub were other Half Life fans could share their opinions on the game.

• This topic was modified 8 months ago by Profile photo of Groovy Groovy.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Groovy Groovy.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

There’s a thread for show suggestions, you know.

While the Half-Life games may be a lot of fun to play, how much is there to react to? I don’t think Fraser’s reactions would be all that funny, so I don’t really see the value in them playing those games, at least not from a viewer’s perspective. There are so many other games with much more potential for comedy and entertainment.

Profile photo of Royal Zoo
    JT-Lionheart

@sylian well it’s not that the show is based on them reacting to the games themselves but people just want to see them play a good game. I mean, how many games have they played that didn’t necessarily had any reaction from them? We’ll still watch. We really don’t go in to most of these streams for just “reactions” but to see how they find the game or whether they like it or not.

Profile photo of Groovy
    Groovy

@sylian I see your point, Half Life is better to be experienced alone. But Im not asking for a full play through just a simple first impressions on black mesa. The begining of the original Half Life has a very memorable intro with lots to be explored, interacted, and reacted to. The main reason I want this game to be played on the show is because Fraser said he played it as a kid and it would be cool for him to see how much it was improved and how it still holds up.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Profile photo of Groovy Groovy.
    Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

Okay, a first impressions is a whole ‘nother beast than a full show. They could do that and still keep it interesting, I suppose. Then they could talk about game mechanic, changes, and such. In a full play-through they’d quicky run out of things to talk about.

@jt-lionheart: I’m assuming most people watch the shows to be entertained. In order to be entertained, simply watching someone else play a game generally won’t be enough. The show needs some aspects that makes it fun to watch. Some games provide such aspects by themselves, such as the comedy from Ace Attorney and Mass Effect. Competitive games often provide comedy thanks to the reactions of the crew, which is why 4/5 Player Fridays are so popular. Some games are not that fun in themselves to watch (such as The Binding of Isaac), but they make them fun to watch with their commentary and their stories (such as the childhood memories during that show).

Half-Life? I don’t see how they’d make that interesting to watch. It doesn’t help that (in my opinion), barring good writing, first person shooters are some of the most boring games to watch (and 2D platformers the most fun). So a full playthrough of Half-Life likely wouldn’t be that interesting. A 2 hour video, however? That could be fun, especially given the opportunities for giving commentary on the story and setting.

JT-Lionheart

@sylian not saying I disagree with you, just that they manage to play games opposite to that and yet many of us still watch. Uncharted 4 for example, it isn’t something you watch someone else play? But some people do. Alot of narrative games seem to be something they really don’t ignore on the show. But like you said, it’s all about the commentary. It’s not always about being entertained but if we are then that’s better, but we don’t exactly go into every stream expecting for Frash to screw something up to make us laugh. That’s for the four play fridays or whenever the gang is around. There’s just a strong balance in the type of games to stream either to entertain or to just sit back and watch someone go through a game and what they think about it… more like watching them review it.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of Royal Zoo .
    Profile photo of K-16
    K-16

Did you intend to say “not saying I don’t agree with you” JT-Lionheart?

Perhaps in the distant future, they could do a one-off episode where they check out a few Half-Life 2 games. First impression of HL2, first impression of HL2: 2D Flash game, and a first impression of Black Mesa. Skip episodes 1 and 2 since the first impression of HL2 won’t be enough to bring them up to speed for 1 and 2. In the interests of time, I think those three would be enough to make a complete episode. And as long as we don’t request this as a longhaul, it could work (I’d even suggest providing save games to bring them to interesting points of the game quicker). It’ll have to be distant future though. Fraser and Becky are crushed with a backlog right now, and I can see they’re feeling very stressed about the current schedule (every post-show sounds like they’re in pain at this point).

And as a suggestion to Groovy, I would avoid using the word “needs” when requesting a game Fraser could check out. It sounds more demanding than a polite suggestion. I know you intended to be polite, so I’m just letting you know to use more words like “could” “I think” etc. Actually your forum post is a perfect example of a polite suggestion. Just the title itself gives off a different impression. That’s all. And like Sylian said, we keep these kind of posts in the suggestions thread so it’s easier to see one big list instead of multiple threads.

JT-Lionheart

@k-16 haha, whoops, yeah I’ll edit that to make it look like that.

Profile photo of LambdaPyro
    LambdaPyro

Half-Life is my favorite game, like ever. It’s the reason I’m Lambda. It would be cool to see them play Half-Life but I really don’t know how Fraser would react to it. Still, we can only hope it comes one day.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.