Is there a game that you believe is perfect?

Home Forums Video Gaming! Is there a game that you believe is perfect?

This topic contains 39 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BD tallboy BDtallboy 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of meanea
    meanea

On the regular 1 to 10 rating system on most review sites, they usually give more than one game a “perfect” rating. However, by the logic of 10/10 being truly perfect, there should be only one game that could ever amass that sort of rating. However, since 10/10’s are given rather hastily by video game review sites (in my opinion), we sort of look past the flaws in a game, due to a rating that calls  a game “perfect”.

Answering the subject line of whether there is a game I could call perfect: yes, but only within the game qualities that I can see. I know at some point, someone will make a game that WILL shatter everything that I thought I knew about perfection in video games, but until then, the only game I truly see as perfect is..

Yoshi’s Island… Atleast, in the grouping of 2D games.

I see yoshi’s island as a game that completely nails every aspect of a game that is important.

1. The art style is so gorgeous, that I can never see it aging
    2. The gameplay and controls are extremely fresh, and there is not another game that can transition between level types so perfectly due to its fluent and fun controls
    3. The enemies are extremely vivid and exciting. Not to mention, the final bowser fight is what I see as the greatest boss fight ever. Such a looming danger on the horizon, made possible due to Mode 7

That is all I can think of right now to gush on such a good game.. However, I would like to hear what you guys think of the 10/10 rating that review sites give, what you think is a perfect game, or if there even is a perfect game. I’d love for their to be more open discussions about games like this on the forums in the future.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of IbunWest
    ibunwest

The short answer is no. There is no such thing as a perfect game. No matter how good, there is always room for improvement. I’ve never played a game where there wasn’t something that bothered me, even if it is small or insignificant.

I think the closest a game ever got for me (and it isn’t even my favorite game) was Red Dead Redemption. It had the characters, story, setting, and enjoyable gameplay; but there are still things that I could complain about. Things I think could be improved upon. Things that would make it an even more grand, engrossing experience.

There’s always room for improvement.

Profile photo of smoke108
    smoke108

Monkey Island 2 is my all time favourite game, but even I have some problems with it.

Profile photo of badthoughts
    badthoughts

I don’t tend to like any score based rating system, I think they’re arbitrary and simplifying what you think of a game into just a number or a grade is not really fair to the game. In terms of a pretty much perfect game though Yoshi’s Island is a damn good choice, it’s easily the best Mario platformer and wracking my brains leads to little in the way of complaints with that game. I’m sure, as has already been said here, there is always room for improvement but if you’re gonna choose a game to stump me on what exactly needs to be improved Yoshi’s Island is a great one.

Profile photo of meanea
    meanea

*bows*

But yeah, when a review site gives a number rating at the end of their review, many tend not to read the review, and just say “hey! this game got a 4, so it must suck”, completely ignoring what positives the reviewer might have had. Putting down a rating at the end of a review makes your writing null. Not in all cases, but lets be honest: how many ign fans do you think actually read  the reviews?

Profile photo of twitchmonkey
    twitchmonkey

In terms of a game being perfect, I tend to think of that more in terms of a game achieving everything it aspires to. Retro 2D games have a bit of an advantage here as their depth and scope was limited. Games like Yoshi’s Island and Mario 3 set out to do a few things and nail it, but I ask you, where is their 60 hours of gameplay, the hyper-realistic graphics, or the lagless 32 on 32 multiplayer? In that sense a game can never be perfect because there is always something more that could have been added given unlimited time and resources.

Profile photo of whatnopie
    whatnopie

It may not be my favourite, or anyone else’s favourite, but I’d say that Tetris is probably the perfect game. Purely because of it’s simple gameplay and it’s addictive nature. Nearly everyone has went through a Tetris (Or some kind of Tetris clone) phase from what I’ve seen. And it’s the type of game that (unless you are just an ass and really forcing it) no-one can hate or dislike.

Profile photo of cressk
    cressk

Ultima 7 – At the time it was released, I could not wish for more (well except for the fact that I wanted it to carry on) – and for the technology at the time it was an amazing achievement. It was the reason I upgraded my PC from a mono to a colour monitor!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_VII:_The_Black_Gate

I even loved the fact that the box art featured no hints about the story at all. You just landed in the world and your first hint of trouble was a seemingly random murder.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of cressk cressk.
    Profile photo of pdw2kx
    pdw2kx

I agree with most, perfection is an ideal and like all ideals, it can’t be reached, only aspired to.

That being said, if I had to say what game I felt came closest to perfection, I’d have to give it to the original Fallout. There have been a handful of games over the years that have defined a console generation for me, stuff like Final Fantasy IX and Metal Gear Solid 2 and most recently Skyrim, but Fallout is the one that defined me as a PC gamer.

Profile photo of aeroflash15
    aeroflash15

I can easily classify Kingdom Hearts 2 as a perfect game (probably because it’s my favorite game). Though it does have multiple issues (little to no environmental interaction unlike the first; some worlds with almost no effort put into them [meaning some could feel empty and lifeless at times],etc.), it does make up with characters, a good (but REALLY complex) story, and music that soothes my soul. I’m only hoping that Square Enix improve upon these issues in the 3rd game.

Profile photo of eldango
    eldango

I’d have to make such a game myself, since only I know exactly what I consider perfect, and even then, a lot people would disagree with me on that, and even then, I’d need to work with a team, who will have different ideas of perfection as well. Perfection is subjective, is what I’m saying, and I personally haven’t played a game I’d call perfect. I’ve played some damn good ones though, and that’s all I care about!

Profile photo of tgorman83
    tgorman83

For me paper Mario and paper Mario: thousand year door

Profile photo of BluHawk007
    bluehawk007

Wind Waker

Profile photo of kkslider555
    kkslider555

Metroid Prime is the closest I can think of, and even than I could nitpick it if I really tried. Though most of my nitpicking would basically end up being some example of just wanting more of the game.

Profile photo of Raggedstar
    Raggedstar

To me, it’s Portal. I just…can’t list any improvements I would make or list anything I could complain about. It’s perfect. Learning curve is perfect. Script and story are perfect. The idea is fresh and interesting with a lot of wiggle room for development (see Portal 2). Visuals are perfect for it’s time (good ol’ Source. Not to mention the uncanny valley is neatly dodged by only having adorable robots instead of wonky-looking humans). It’s just…bloody well perfect. I guess the only fault it has is length, but on the other hand it doesn’t have an ounce of fat on it. Portal 2 tried to fill the void by having a more complicated, indepth story and world, but it left a middle section that was largely about nothing and could’ve been cut down a bit (still love the game though).

Mind you, Okami is still my favourite game. There are many things I can harp on about how Okami is flawed. Portal is maybe closer to #5 or 6 on my list, and the other games placing better I can think of at least one thing wrong with them. Hell, Jak 2 I like more than Portal, yet I can write several pages on Word on how flawed it is. It’s a complicated love.

Profile photo of meanea
    meanea

I love how varied the responses are here :)

Profile photo of eldango
    eldango

It’s like a big ol’ response buffet!

Profile photo of TrueColors05
    truecolors05

What Raggedstar said. Although, Portal probably is the best game i’ve played like ever now that I think about it :p

Profile photo of cthuloops85
    cthuloops85

Fallout 2, bugs, crashes, glitches and all. Still the perfect game for me personally. There’s far more important things than being bug free, people seem to forget that these days.

ibunwest

When I think about it, any game with Curt Hennig in it has to be considered simply…perfect.

Profile photo of Utsuho Reiuji
    UtsuhoReiuji

Tough question. The first things that popped into my head were the usual suspects like: OoT, Half Life 2, Goldeneye, Mario 3 or 64, Chrono Trigger, etc. They were all received well and did a lot for the industry in terms of innovation and really paved the way for other games that followed. You could say that films like King Kong had the same effect on their industry but that doesn’t necessarily make them the perfect, or the best. Heck i’d say Citizen Kane, which is almost always in the top 5 of any best film list is god awful because of issues that nobody seems to mention (pacing for example). And that’s really the problem, it’s subjective and so many people ride the hype train.

But back to video games before I derail this any further. I’d have to say Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening would be my personal pick. It’s not that it’s the best game I’ve ever played, but the game with the least amount of flaws. Some people bash the monochrome graphics but I wouldn’t hold hardware limitations against a game like that.

Profile photo of Oidisco
    oidisco

As pretty everyone else said, theres no such thing as perfect game. Every game can improve upon something (not including graphics), such as better pacing, AI, level design etc.

Personally though, I’d say Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are equally perfect in encapsulating what I love about videogames. Both have some the best level design in gaming, incredible atmosphere,  pretty deep mechanics, great pacing, surprisingly interesting stories if you’re willing to find it, great music and the list goes on.

I can’t really pick a favourite out of those 2, so I usually just say that Super is the perfect 2D game, and Prime is the perfect 3D game.

Also Super has some awesomely awesome ways of teaching the player different abilities in the game, without using any text or dialog boxes, which is quite nice.

I wrote a very long and well thought out reply to this when the thread was started, but it has seemed to have disappeared. So I’ll just sum up because I don’t want to write like crazy again

I don’t think a 10/10 should be THIS GAME IS FLAWLESS!!! I think a 10/10 should mean “this game is a pinnacle of the genre”

To that end, games I think deserve a 10: Ocarina of time, A Link to the Past, Goldeneye, Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword, and Okami all deserve 10s

Profile photo of Oidisco
    oidisco

Yea some people seem to think that a 10/10 means perfect, whereas what it really means is that the few negative qualities in the game are absolutely trivial and have little to effect on the games overall quality.

ibunwest

The question then becomes, what happens when a better game comes along? How do you rate it in a way to show that it is better? If Ocarina of Time is a 10, does that make Wind Waker an 11? (This is just an example based on my personal preference.)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of IbunWest ibunwest.
    Profile photo of Utsuho Reiuji
    UtsuhoReiuji

@ibunwest That’s exactly why I hate sites like metacritic that use arbitrary numbers or letters to ‘grade’ a game. To me a grade of 5 / 10 would make a game average, neither good or bad. Nowadays 7 is the new average. I usually try to go for audio / visual reviews. The way some of these sites review needs to be revamped, if we are going with a grade then I need a chart of some kind to explain the difference between each possible grade.

Profile photo of Oidisco
    oidisco

Well ibun, obviously the answer is….it’s umm…uhh…..it’s….hang on a sec

*Head explodes

Profile photo of meanea
    meanea

@oidisco

ewww. disco stu got disco goo everywhere :s

ibunwest

I think that just goes to Badthoughts’ point about score based systems being flawed in general. And the fact that I’m guessing most reviewers judge games in a bubble, or only compare it to a handful of other games, rather than how good it is historically. If 10/10 means the pinnacle of a genre, than almost every AAA title would be considered that, which I think is just untrue.

EDIT: I think for me, if we are talking about rating games “perfectly” the game itself has to do something groundbreaking. It has to be the kind of game you look back at after 10 years and you can see how it influenced video games. I think Ocarina of Time is definitely one of those games, even if I consider Wind Waker to be a more enjoyable game.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of IbunWest ibunwest.

Ibun, In that case, my answer would be both games are a pinnacle of the genre for their time, so both would deserve the 10. To retroactively downgrade a game like Ocarina because more powerful hardware that came out later allowed for a larger game that built on it’s foundation seems, well, folly.

It’s the same argument I would use with Goleneye or Perfect Dark. To me, those games are a 10. They represent a pinnacle in console FPS games. Have FPS games come out after them that set a new pinnacle? Yes. you’d be hard pressed to hold them up against Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, but should that lower their score, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.