Mod Grievance Thread

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! Mod Grievance Thread

This topic contains 778 replies, has 151 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of chrya chrya 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of Illiterate Sophist
    isophist
    Keymaster

Have a problem with how we’ve dealt with something? Here’s your place to get a conversation in about it. Public and transparent. We’ll tell you why we did it the way we did, and everyone can read it to agree or disagree with you.

Be prepared: If you want to make your case public, that could mean making other things public. If you’re going to come in here and claim to have a clean slate, we’re going to tell people if you’re lying.

That out of the way, the purpose of this thread is to get problems out in the open instead of growing into real issues later, when a conversation could have ended it all amicably. Give us a fair complaint or concern, we’ll give you a fair response (some replies may take more time than others). If you come in all, “Meh, I was banned, meh!” we’re going to say, “Yup.” We’ll need reasons. If we’re screwing up, we need to know.

Quick tip: Take a few deep breaths, first. Come in raging, you’re not helping anyone.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Illiterate Sophist isophist.
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 778 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Why do some(I say some because I don’t pay attention to every mod and don’t want to single just one mod out) mods feel the need to yell at members when they do something stupid?
    Is there really no other way to handle the situation?
    http://videogamesawesome.com/forums/topic/banned-from-chat/ < here’s an example.

I’m saying this in a calm way and hope the mods do the same.

isophist
    Keymaster

Well, in that example, I’d spent six hours speaking to the individual in private explaining, over and over, why they were banned. He then made a thread to appeal to the public, glossing over any of the reasons for why he’d been banned. He chose to make it public, not us.

Unless something is really bad or time sensitive (during a show, offensive, threatening…), it’s a fair assumption that we’re yelling because of things you can’t know: The general public doesn’t have the history with the users we do. We know if someone’s been a problem before and if they’ve been contacted privately… and how they acted when they couldn’t be seen by everyone else. Public assaults aren’t typically our first-strike protocol; just the first thing the public sees.

If something’s out of left field crazy, there are times we’ll stamp it out in public right away to make it clear that what was going on wasn’t okay. Consider it tough-love if you must, but there are times where pointing at an example is a much stronger message than sweeping it under the rug. “See that thing he just did? Don’t do that,” rather than trying to make it look like it never happened.

Profile photo of miaharpy
    miaharpy

I’m not sure if it’s okay to post this here, but it’s about [name removed]. I know what he did months before and I understand the temp ban during then. But if it’s okay, I would like to know exactly what caused his ban. Was he so angry he was cursing or yelling? I know for the fact that over a half of the people in that one thread either didn’t know who [name removed] was or did not have a grudge against him. I know mostly only two problems with him was he talked to much or was too nice to the point of looking like he’s flirting.

I’m being honest when just wanting to know what happened. It hurts me to not know what exactly happened and only wished he had a ‘fair trial’. If he really did a bad thing, I’ll accept it. I won’t be angry at it. I do like and appreciate the mods. I even consider Cogs and Silent to be good friends. I try to be friends with everyone. I hope you and others understand what I mean.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of kshade kshade.
    Profile photo of kshade
    kshade

I removed his name from your post. He was banned because he did not stop behaving the way he did before the temporary ban, getting “overly friendly” with female community members and then doing things to unsettle or hurt them.

Rest assured that we didn’t make his permanent ban a snap decision. We talked about it for weeks and got into long arguments about it.

Profile photo of miaharpy
    miaharpy

alright, thank you for telling me.

isophist
    Keymaster

If you weren’t aware, this thread is about said user: http://videogamesawesome.com/forums/topic/please-read-regarding-a-banned-turbo/

Profile photo of luckysimon
    luckysimon

I have a problem with my special build ban. I disagree strongly with some of the reasons for the why I was banned. There were some issues on my end and I acknowledge that, but I also tried to help as much as possible during the builds with as many as possible.

So, basically, I’m not pleading complete innocence, I am requesting clemency. There’s been 2 actual builds (and one community run) in 8 months this year, and that’s doesn’t appear likely to change. So at this rate if I have to wait for a half a dozen or so builds before I can participate, I might as well just give up on not participating at all

isophist
    Keymaster

Care to be more specific with the reasons? What do you disagree with?

luckysimon

I wasn’t sure if I was allowed to repost the ‘charges’ or not. (I’m not being snarky, just not sure what other word to use for them btw).

For example, the nintendo land build was being held against me because I asked others for snow and because I accidentally updated (something dozens of people have done). The fact is, the tower was not my build. The secret of mana cannon was mine. I volunteered to do the tower for Silent, because he was asking melli and melli was wanting to do that starfox roller coaster. I bought the bullet and I did explain at that point that my snow reserves were low and I would need some help with that. He was going to give me 12 extra hours to get it done but I finished in an hour before the regular deadline. That should not be held against me.

Another example was not making the roller coaster for halloween. Yes, I had to ditch because a) the area to build in wasn’t going to be ready on time and I had to work during the time it would have been ready before the show and b) I was busy helping on the costume quest build, both of which I tried to let Neko know about. This is one of the ones where I do accept some of the blame though as it took a while to get the message to her.

Yet another example was the same build was the 9 circles of hell. I bowed out of that before the pitch process was even finished because I went to help with the costume quest build and I notified the mods and posted in the forums. It’s not like I ditched at the last minute. I realized it was a crappy build early and worked on a better one.

The comment then was “As a move to reward build challenges to stand out players, you’re barred from participating in challenges until further notice.”

That’s also something I disagree with. On the Simpsons build I tried my best to help with as many builds as possible and did what I could to get things ready. I’ve done builds that were said to be too big to get done by one person, but finished them, under deadline. I’ve tried to make the builds as good as I can. 4 of my 9 suggestions for olympic competitions were used and I completed the acropolis and the temple under a very tight deadline (with goodroy’s help on the mountain). Heck, not to take anything away from loophole, but the torch video was my idea. Loop did all the work on it though, and he did a great job.

Even with the ban, I helped a crew with the design for the empire state building (iirc, i think that’s the one we did, it’s one of the two and that was eight months ago so i may be wrong). I donated 8 double chests of stone and other building materials for the con build, after which I was told I wasn’t allowed to even visit the site. I donated 18 double chests of sand and other building materials to the beach build. Hell, on the old server I donated two inventories worth of wool for the seuss build, and that was a 3 hour each way trip for me at the time because I didn’t have a portal until much later.

I’m not saying I’m the best builder, or anything like that. But I have continued to try and help with this server as much as I can, I’ve tried to make the builds as good as I can.

isophist
    Keymaster

If you knew you didn’t have the supplies, you probably should’ve made sure you could get them before stepping in. And ditching builds has become a big deal for challenges, per Fraser’s request: Participation in challenges is a privilege, not a right, and they’re for a live show.

You listed three reasons from just two challenges. However good you were previous, if we see a trend starting, we need to step in for the sake of the show. Plots can’t be left empty come showtime. We need people to consider if builds can be completed within the given time before claiming or accepting them.

But, you’re right: When we gave you the ban, we had the idea of it lasting for a couple of challenges; then the challenges dried up a bit, so it became longer than we anticipated. Don’t know when the next one will be, but we’ll lift the ban.

luckysimon

I appreciate it.

Why was I timed out a couple months back for speaking the truth about Sidney Crosby (Hockey Player for the Penguins) during a pre show when I called him a walking vagina? Is vagina seriously that bad of a word or was it the mental image I created of an actual walking vagina?

I only bring this up because I actually thought it was funny that I was timed out for it but I did actually wonder about the reasoning behind it.

isophist
    Keymaster

It was a time out months ago. I’m guessing it was in poor taste/sexist and/or so off-topic it was deemed attention-whoring, but I doubt any of us are going to remember. I can’t really pull logs from, “a couple months ago.”

Doesn’t matter how “true” it is, by the way: If it’s offensive, it’s offensive.

Ok during the show today I was timed out right after the Giraffes appeared for saying “This moment was one of the best moments in my time spent playing video games” I spoiled nothing. The only other thing I said was “I made it home in time” nothing was spoiled at all.

Profile photo of kshade
    kshade

You’re not supposed to say things like that before whatever moment you’re referring to comes up. Fraser himself timed out someone else for the same thing today as well.

isophist
    Keymaster

It clues in the crew that something is about to happen. Again, “a spoiler is ANY information you’d only have be playing further ahead in the game.”

Ok seriously I understand your reasoning but it was said right when they had appeared on screen I waited until then to send that message. But if you saw other wise I apologize and I won’t appreciate moments in games on the show anymore.

Profile photo of kshade
    kshade

Maybe I was a bit behind on the stream then.

No harm done then believe me the big moments in games for me are the toughest to keep my excitement in via the chat.

isophist
    Keymaster

Not everyone experiences the same amount of lag, and we’re given fractions of a second to decide what to do.

Don’t be snotty. Waiting until the last second to post what was JUST a spoiler is a risk. If you can’t contain yourself for an extra few seconds, it’s safest to not be chatting.

Profile photo of twitchmonkey
    twitchmonkey

I know I’ve felt I was unnecessarily TO’d on several occasions, but I’m not sure those are worth grieving about. Yes, the mods tend to TO for anything that could possibly, conceivably be considered a spoiler, but it’s better one member not be able to chat for all of 10 minutes than having a game spoiled for the crew. Now a perma-ban or a minecraft build ban, that’s kind of serious, but just about everyone has been TO’d at some point, even Becky and several of the mods for posting in all caps. Though of course when they get TO’d they can reverse it like the hypocritical tyrants they are.

isophist
    Keymaster

Time outs in Turbo Chat are 20 minutes, because Turbos should know better. And we can’t actually time each other out, other than self-imposed ones.

But if someone breaks the rules, they get punished. I timed out my brother during a Last of Us show.

Profile photo of Wyietsayon
    Wyietsayon

Not sure if this exactly fits this topic but I’ve kind of wondered something. Is the Snarf/Derp system in the chat over?

By that I mean that people are only supposed to use either of them if the cast asks for them, which does makes sense. I mean, there was a ton of issues with people false snarfing and sometimes giving spoilers in their snarfs. But usually the cast just asks a question without asking specifically for snarfs, and people just answer them. It’s been working fine now pretty much. I guess I just curious if the snarf/derp system was just officially retired now, or being reworked, or something else.

Profile photo of dumplingzowo
    dumplingzowo

From what I remember, the snarf/derp system is only used when the crew specifically asks for them, @wyietsayon.

Profile photo of cogswell_chris
    cogswell_chris

The Snarf/Derp system has been put to rest. It was an alright idea, that quickly started to get out of hand, with people jumping in before even the slightest notion that help was needed, so now it’s basically a matter of only answering when explicitly asked by one of the crew, never before.

Profile photo of lionheart21
    lionheart21

I kinda learned that one the hard way a few weeks back when I put out a Derp about The Last of Us. I had thought that Derps were still good since they’re used for when we’re not sure about something, and that Snarfs were only for when the crew asked for help.

I can understand that Derps could technically count as spoilers if you’re correct, though, or could make them consider the derp as a possibility that they themselves didn’t consider.

isophist
    Keymaster

No. Snarf when the crew specifically asks THE CHAT for information. And ONLY snarf what they’re asking. Do not snarf whilst the crew theorizes or asks each other questions. If the crew unwittingly asks for a spoiler, then you say nothing.

Derps are pointless. If you don’t know the answer, you’re just looking for attention and trying to get your non-fact out ahead of the people honestly tossing out ideas. It’s pointless to derp. Do not derp.

Profile photo of Wyietsayon
    Wyietsayon

With all the rules surrounding snarfs, they seem kind of risky/scary to try to snarf. Wouldn’t it make more sense just to get rid of snarfs too? From what I’ve seen the crew usually just acts on either the first few that respond or the most plentiful. Plus it simplifies things for everyone.

isophist
    Keymaster

“Only answer a question when asked.” Not too hard. If anyone’s afraid of using Snarf, there’s no requirement to use it.

We’ve kept Snarfs around because Fraser wants them around.

If Fraser needs help and your going by and old memory and say “snarf” you are taking a small risk since your not 100% sure.(I went by memory in OOT and thought you could get the fire arrows before the temple, I was wrong)
    If the crew asks, and I got faqs in front of me, and everyone is giving different answers, that would be the only time I’d say snarf. I stopped using snarf because it’s way too easy to be wrong and be timed out.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.