Putting together the info leaks from reliable sources and what Nintendo has said/done I pretty confident in the following points about the NX:
- It will be a console box + a dedicated handheld device (which is also a controller for the console)
- The NX handheld will eventually replace the 3DS line of handhelds
- You will be able to download titles to either machine, or purchase the games at retail
- The console will NOT have a disc drive. Instead both the handheld and console will play the same games (memory cards similar to the 3DS. High capacity memory cards are now cheap enough for even large games)
- The console and handheld will automatically adjust the graphics of the game to what each device can handle (think of it like how you set the graphics settings on PC games)
- Memory cards for games are a good idea because disc drives are slow, power hungry, and a relatively expensive part of a console. This way Nintendo can spend money on the CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.
- This unified platform will allow Nintendo to release a steady stream of 1st party games instead of splitting their resources between 2 platforms
- Zelda Wii U will be on NX as well (just like Zelda TP was Gamecube/Wii)
- They will try to have a brand new main-line Mario in the launch window (pending how Miyamoto feels about how the game is progressing)
- The console’s power and chipset will be similar to PS4 & Xbox One to make porting for 3rd parties easier
- NX will release holiday 2016
Here are a few things I hope Nintendo does, but there is no indication that they will:
- Launch the NX with a Super Smash Bros Ultimate Edition (The Wii U and 3DS game in one with all the DLC included)
- Allow owners of Wii U games to transfer their downloaded titles to NX, and somehow accommodate Wii U disc games as well.
I tried to put my personal feelings aside and looked at what information we have gotten and what makes the most business sense for Nintendo. Although you may be upset about Zelda being cross-platform, they need to have strong titles for the launch of the NX.
What do you all think?
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.