Overwatch Discussion

Home Forums Video Gaming! Overwatch Discussion

Tagged: 

This topic contains 379 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ser JohnY SerJohnY 2 days, 7 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of zaziuma
    zaziuma

(HEY! Got your attention? Good, then add me on PS4, my username there is Zaziuma as well, let’s party up sometime!)

Since I’m sure a lot of us are playing, I thought we should have a discussion page! Share your favorite heroes, your favorite moments while playing, or discuss strategy, whatever you feel like. I had a good moment that inspired this thread:

• This topic was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 9 months ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    • This topic was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 379 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

“@sylian If you think Torb is one of the worst characters, you haven’t defended Hanamura with six of him.”

I played against 6 Torbjörns on Gibraltar. That was a super easy win for us. Two Reinhardts, one Mercy, and three damage dealers, and bam, win. His turret isn’t really that scary either, many characters can 1v1 it if it’s left alone. Compare that with a tier 3 TF2 turret and Thorbjörn seems really underpowered… Though his 75 armor packs actually add a lot of value. 300 extra armor for your team is nothing to sneeze at, although he cannot keep it up 100% of the time.

Profile photo of TJgalon
    TJgalon

@sylian, what do you mean, 300 extra armor?

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

Actually, it’s 375. I was thinking that Overwatch had 5 players per team, but it has 6. Of course, in practice you won’t have a 100% uptime.

Profile photo of zaziuma
    zaziuma

Let us just say it was intentional.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

New week, new tournament usage data.

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/16-overwatch-tier-list-and-meta-report-ive-got-the-whole-hog-from-above

Character use: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56b3cac001dbae7de45090ec/t/5771f3e820099e126e2dd980/1467085815353/?format=1500w

So, this week King of the Hill increased in usage, which means that heroes who were used a lot in KotH got more overall usage as well, and vice versa for heroes not used in KotH.

Mercy was used nearly 100% of the time, with 100% usage on Attack. Lúcio was not far behind, which suggests that most teams ran Mercy + Lúcio on most modes. Both fall off slightly on Defense, which suggests that Symmetra, with her 50% usage in defense, sometimes takes up one of the spots.

Soldier stands out, with his around 90% usage in King of the Hill, 100% usage on Defense, but slightly less than 50% on Attack.

Reaper is the 4th most used, with a mixed bag, slight preference for KotH.

Reinhardt is about the same in overall usage as last week, with attack and defense now being closer than before, but his usage in KotH going down. This doesn’t surprise me since it’s so easy to flank on KotH maps, making him much less useful overall.

Pharah stands out as the Attack Offense hero, with around 87% usage. Her Defense usage is nothing to sneeze at either, above 50%. For some reason, her KotH usage is 0, which surprises me. I personally think she’s a good KotH hero, but perhaps tournament players value other characters (like Soldier and Reaper) higher.

Winston is a respectable character, even as a solo character. Double Winston comps are still much, much stronger, but solo Winston still sports some usage, with a decent amount of usage in Attack and Defense and above 75% on KotH, making him the KotH tank.

Roadhog is really starting to shine, it seems. Over 50% usage in Attack, and over 75% usage in Defense, making him the second most used tank in Defense (after Reinhardt). His KotH usage is barely above 25%, though.

Zarya remains in pretty much the same position as last week, though her Defense use dropped. She’s mainly an Attack and KotH tank.

Tracer is pretty much in the same place, being mainly used for KotH.

Genji‘s usage went up a bit. He’s now around 25% usage overall, pretty balanced on all modes. His main issue is his high skill cap, meaning that it takes a lot more skill and experience do to well with Genji compared to most other characters.

Widowmaker‘s usage went up. 25% overall, Attack and Defense pretty balanced, no KotH usage. She’s similar to Genji in that she has a high skill ceiling.

Symmetra is still Defense only, same with Junkrat (with some insignificant KotH usage).

D. VA still got mediocre usage. Same with Hanzo and Torbjörn. At best they are niche picks in competitive.

McCree dropped hard. He’s now bottom 4, which suggests that they nerfed him too hard.

Mei and Bastion have nearly no usage. Zenyatta have no usage.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by Profile photo of Sylian .
    Profile photo of Ser JohnY
    SerJohnY

Anyone know a good counter for double Winston? Playing pubs mean almost no teamwork so coordinating with teammates isn’t an option most of the time.

Profile photo of mryawning
    mryawning

Reaper for sure. He’s the tank shredder in pubs.

And how has everyone been doing in competitive mode? I’m at 60 currently.

SerJohnY

@mryawning Competitive mode is out already?? I’m on PS4 and there’s no option for comptetitive. Do you play on PC?

Profile photo of TJgalon
    TJgalon

Man though stats really are odd since mei still a great pick. It how you use them, not what stats say
    consoles get it next week from what I read.

Profile photo of hrotgarmr
    hrotgarmr

Afaik it’ll be out a little later on consoles.
    MS and Sony need to approve the patch first.
    Hopefully it’ll come out soon.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

I think Mei is pretty meh most of the time. The wall can be great, but it can also be awful, making it really inconsistent. Her damage isn’t that good and relies on freezing targets, which greatly reduces her power in teamfights. She’s great at 1v1 though, but why pick Mei instead of, say, Soldier 76?

She’s not awful (is any character?) but if you want to win, you’ll often be better with some other character.

SerJohnY

Mei’s amazing when she’s played by someone who’s aware of the entire battlefield. I hate when a friendly Mei screws me over by putting a wall in between me and an enemy I was about to kill.

I’ve also seen people play Mei almost like a Sniper with her extremely accurate Alt Fire.

Profile photo of dragonmastr
    dragonmastr

I’m not a pro with Mei but I’m pretty good using her. I’ve gone on some fun rampages completely wrecking the opposing team. I try my best to not screw my teammates over with my walls but it happens. You can’t always see the entire battlefield so mistakes will happen. On the king of the hill capture maps Mei can also be useful in stalling for time by using her wall and cryo-freeze abilities to allow your teammates to get back to the point.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

The game is balanced enough so that no hero is useless. Some will end up less useful than others, though, and I’d be surprise if Mei isn’t bottom 5.

Top 10 are likely Mercy, Lúcio, Winston, Reinhardt, Soldier 76, Reaper, Pharah, Roadhog, Zarya, and… Not quite sure about the 10th place. Tracer is pretty good on King of the Hill, Genji and Widowmaker are pretty good when played by a really strong player, and Symmetra’s teleporter is really useful for Defense on point 1. Most of those are somewhat situational though, and Tracer, Genji, and Widowmaker are awful when played by the average player.

So, I suppose the top 9 is more clear. Top 9 characters, in no particular order: Mercy, Lúcio, Winston, Reinhardt, Soldier 76, Reaper, Pharah, Roadhog, and Zarya.

Interestingly enough, those 9 are pretty much the only characters I play. I occasionally play Bastion (mainly to learn how to better counter him) and Zenyatta (for fun) as well.

SerJohnY

@sylian I’m surprised there’s no Defense characters on your list. I see a lot of Junkrat on King of the Hill. His explosives and Ult are a good way of clearing the objective

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

I don’t think Junkrat is that good on King of the Hill. For one thing, I find Winston to be really good vs Junkrat, and Winston is a staple KotH hero. Reaper is also pretty good at killing Junkrat, with his ability to phase through the grenade spam and then blast Junkrat in two shots. He also somewhat struggles against Lúcio, who is pretty much always picked on KotH, at least on PC European quick play games. Furthermore, he’s not good versus Pharah, who can rocket jump, making it hard for him to hit her. Then again, Pharah has no real KotH use in competitive (probably due to Soldier, Reaper, and Tracer stealing her spot).

Junkrat is much better on defense. He has some niche use on Defense (below 50% usage in tournaments), which puts him slightly below Symmetra, another niche-character.

So, what about other Defense heroes? Bastion seems really strong for normals, yet his usage rate in tournaments suggest that he’s mostly a pubstomper. Widowmaker used to have a lot of use, basically replacing one of the Offense heroes if the team had a good Widowmaker. The nerf made her much weaker, especially for Widowmakers who relied on bodyshots. Genji and McCree have the same issue: They are good heroes in the right hand, but very few are able to play them well enough to justify picking them. The skill floor and skill ceiling are both high.

So, the top 9 I mentioned are all somewhat easy to play while giving a great reward. Characters like Widowmaker, Genji, and McCree offer a high risk, high reward, but very few players are skilled enough to do well with those characters. Junkrat and Symmetra offer some good niche use, but you’ll only use them for part of the match, or else you’ll be picking suboptimally (which is fine for casual quick play, but if you really want to win you’d probably pick someone else). D. VA, Torbjörn, Hanzo, Mei, Bastion, and Zenyatta have issues that make then generally inferior to other options. They can still be played and do well, but the competition is fierce.

SerJohnY

I’d disagree on Reaper being good at taking out Junkrat. Once Reaper uses his Wraith Form to close in on Junkrat, all Junkrat has to do is drop his Concussion Mine to get out of Reaper’s range by either blowing himself or Reaper away.

Profile photo of dragonmastr
    dragonmastr

I really need to go to bed right now but had to upload this video first because of its epicness. The epic dance of Mei’s from tonight’s VGA show as seen from my point of view:

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of dragonmastr .
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of dragonmastr .
    Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

@serjohny: You might be right, I haven’t played enough Reaper or Junkrat to know for sure how well they interact which each other. My experience with the matchup, limited as it may be, is that Reaper kills Junkrat really quickly.

Though isn’t it a draw if Junkrat jumps away? Reaper could just find some other target, then.

SerJohnY

@sylian Yeah, I’m the same as you. Not much playtime with either of them but as long as Junkrat keeps some range on Reaper then he can rain down bombs on him and Reaper can’t do shit about it unless Reaper is playing stealthy.

Profile photo of zaziuma
    zaziuma

My 3rd hero, as before, I focus more on the gameplay side than the story side. Also, check out my other heroes: https://www.reddit.com/user/Zaziuma/submitted/

Name: Tay

Nationality: Iraqi

Base of Operations: Baghdad, Iraq (formerly), New York, New York, USA

Affiliation: None

Role: Tank

300 Health/200 Shields

Abilities:

Laserrail (Laser Shots): Shoots out small, visible pellets in a circular wave, the more you move, the less accurate it becomes, though standing still will make them more accurate. They are rapid-fire and does 5-8 damage per pellet. It shoots out out 25 pellet per second. Laserrail has 200 ammo.

Laserrail (Laser Beam): Shoots a laser beam forward at moderate speed, it deals more damage the longer it is hitting its target, if the whole beam hits, it does 80 damage. One beam is 50 ammo. Laserrail has 200 ammo.

Concentration (passive): While standing still, you take less damage and Laser Shots becomes more accurate.

Blinding Light: Hits in a field around you, makes them unable to see for 5 seconds, they can still move around and shoot though. Recharge is 12 seconds.

Light Bomb (ultimate): Throws out a bomb in front of you that counts down from 3 and explodes. Enemies caught in the explosion are launched far away, at least double the length of Lúcio’s Soundwave, which is meant to knock them off the map. Also does 150 damage.

Appearance: His clothes are colorful and lights up like neon, they are very loose, rave-like, he has shoulder pads and other armor that are reflective. He has short puffy hair and his body type is the same as Zarya.

Story: Before moving to the States, he grew up in Baghdad, he was relatively rich, allowing him transfer to the States and study engineering, a passion he had since little. After graduating, he found it hard to find a job, so he worked on small projects by himself. He is a fan of Lúcio, both his music and his movement, he reached out to him to help with the cause, though with little luck, he started developing weapons and tech himself. He headed to Rio de Jeneiro to show Lúcio what he could do, he was very impressed, and even allowed him VIP access to his shows.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of zaziuma zaziuma.
    SerJohnY

Anyone know where I can find other VGA members playing Overwatch on PS4? I need some friends for competitive :(

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Ser JohnY .
    Profile photo of mryawning
    mryawning

I do believe there’s a thread in the turbo forums.

SerJohnY

@mryawning Yeah but aren’t those for Turbos only? I’m not a Turbo yet

Profile photo of HansGrohlo
    Llama

By request, the reddit post I found about our Mei-king Friends sessions. Video too: https://youtu.be/jUKnADxgIlg

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

So, new week, new statistics… Although this time, things have changed. 2cp were unbanned (though barely played), King of the Hill changed from best of 3 to best of 5, and the hero limit removed. The results? 56% of the games played were KotH. Lots of Tracer, Lúcio, Winston, and Zarya stacking in KotH. The stats are thus a bit… Strange. Let’s consider it an experiment, which still provides some useful data (since regular games are 0 hero limit as well).

http://www.planetoverwatch.org/17-overwatch-tier-list-and-meta-report-the-esl-experiment

So, Tracer has a KotH usage of 201%, which averages out to 2 Tracers per team. Lúcio is close behind, with 186% KotH usage. Without the 1 hero limit, Mercy’s usage falls down hard in KotH, since the team benefits more from two Lúcios instead of a Mercy and a Lúcio (most of the time).

Seems the KotH heroes with good usage in the 0 hero meta are: Tracer, Lúcio, Reaper, Winston, and Zarya, with Pharah, Soldier 76, and Mercy having some niche usage.

So, that’s KotH. What about Attack and Defense? Some noteworthy things: Tracer averages over 100% on Defense, which means average 1. I suspect many teams don’t run her all the time but rather bring in a lot of Tracers near the end of the game to stall the payload. Her Attack use is over 50%, which is a step up from last week. Tracer is the biggest winner of the 0 hero cap.

Both Lúcio and Mercy actually moved down a bit on Attack usage. This suggests that double Lúcio comps aren’t used much, and more teams are running solo support, although I suspect double supports are still really common (I suspect Mercy + Lúcio on attack). Their Defense usage dropped a bit too.

Symmetra lost a lot of viability in 0 hero limit meta, dropping from around 50% usage on Defense to less than 25%. I suspect being hardcountered by double Winstons played a role in her drop. I personally think she’s pretty good on Point A Defense, but if the enemy team runs a double Winston comp you might want to switch to someone else.

Winston, unsurprisingly, gained usage in both Attack and Defense, although not quite as much as I thought we would. He was pretty evenly used on Attack and Defense and used over 50% of the time (although I suspect quite a bit of that were bursts of double Winston).

Reaper, interestingly enough, gained quite a bit of Attack usage (now around 75%) and a lot of Defense (over 100%). I’m not sure, but I think it might be to counter double Winston comps. Then again, Reaper is a really strong character anyway, and fairly easy to play too.

Something interesting: Pharah‘s Attack usage dropped from around 87% to 75%, but her Defense usage rose to around bit less than 75% from bit more than 50%. She’s now pretty evenly used in Attack and Defense.

Soldier 76 and Zarya are about the same as last week.

Roadhog‘s Attack usage went up slightly and Defense down slightly. Reinhardt‘s Attack went down a bit and Defense up a bit.

Genji‘s Attack usage is pretty decent now, around 40% or so. The thing is, Genji is really hard to play well, so while a few tournament players can play him well, the vast majority of Overwatch players can’t. The fact that Reaper is used almost twice as much on Attack says a lot about how Genji is a “spend a lot of time to learn without getting that much compared to just playing Reaper”-character.

D.VA got a decent niche use on Defense now, around 30% or so. I’m not quite sure why, perhaps to counter double-Reaper comps?

Widowmaker, McCree, Torbjörn, Hanzo, about the same (low) usage as last week.

Junkrat got his usage more than halved, from around 40% to less than 15% on Defense. I suspect this is due to double Winston comps.

Zenyatta, Bastion, and Mei are still bottom tier in tournament play.

I wouldn’t stare at overall usage due to the 56% KotH usage. I’m starting to really think that there should be a 1 hero per team limit for tournaments and Ranked, or at least a 2 hero per team limit.

SerJohnY

@sylian Why do you want to get rid of hero stacking?

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

I think it encourages tactics that aren’t good for the game. Switching to 5x Tracer + Lúcio to stall Overtime isn’t that healthy. I also saw a tournament team that went 6x D.VA on Hanamura defense. The enemy team was capping their point, they went in 1 by 1 and suicided on the point (when there was 2 minutes left), stalling long enough to eventually manage to defeat the enemy team.

Note that I only want limited hero stacking for Competitive and tournament. I’m not sure if the limit should be 1x or 2x though. 2x would still allow for some cheese, but at least we’d get rid of 6x D.VA, 5x Tracer, and such.

Edit: Changed “Not” to “Note”. Missing one letter sometimes makes a big difference! :D

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by Profile photo of Sylian .
    SerJohnY

Fair enough. Though I disagree. 5x Tracer and Lucio is a viable tactic. Might be annoying, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a bad tactic. Everyone’s capable of pulling these tactics off. Seems fair to me. Though a tad annoying.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

That’s the point though. It’s too good. Having such comps in Quick Play might be fine, but I don’t think they should be in Competitive or tournaments. “Everyone can do it” has never been a good argument for keeping something that’s broken. Everyone could play pre-patch McCree, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been nerfed.

Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 379 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.