Overwatch: How to Continue?

Home Forums Video Gaming! Overwatch: How to Continue?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jesslb429 Jesslb429 7 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of Jesslb429
    Jesslb429

So, against my better financial and tech judgement, I bought Overwatch for my PC. I have been watching Frash and Becky play and it looked fun and like something I could really get into. Also, I figured “Maybe online isn’t as bad a I think it will be.” With my personal threshold and all the horror stories about playing online, I have always been skeptical. However, even after reading all of the butthurt people over justifiably getting banned for using aimbots/triggerbots, I was ready. So over the past day or two, I have been testing out the characters and I got so hyped. I found which characters I felt good with and was itching to try out. Of course, jumping into a completely human team seemed hasty. So the natural progression took me to playing against AI on a team of actual players.

I promise this is going somewhere. It just felt like a good idea to provide context.

Anyway, I felt really confident after a few rounds so I figured I would jump over and get matched with players of my skill level. My first match out of the gate was with four players of similar skill with two who were nearer to 20 and an opposing team of similar rank. My rank was about 3, maybe 2. After we kept getting slaughtered by a far more experienced team, one of the higher ranked players started calling us all horrible things via text chat and voice chat. Including….*sigh*…another word for a bundle of sticks. They were dying just as often as I. I probably sound like a huge kindergartner, but it really fucking sucked and kinda shook me. I tried to give people a chance, despite my instincts. So I spent my hard earn money(and limited supply of mobile data that I was going to use to make sure I was able to stream the tubrostream during tomorrow’s minecraft games so I don’t let my team down, so I could game at my current location), which I do not make a lot of, to get cursed out for learning and playing a game.

I’m not giving up after one game. Overwatch has felt like something I could really get good at and, after a few rough weeks, I was really excited. I was just wondering if I could get some advice for how to keep playing. And I know, as a turbo, there is a thread in the turbo forums. My instinct is to shy away from adding them to my friends list because I don’t want to annoy them, not only with my inexperience, but also with my ineptitude in social situation. Is there any advice anyone can offer for playing with these strangers to someone who has never played in this setting? I just don’t know how to handle it. I know I come off as sensitive, but I can’t force myself into a situation that I feel uncomfortable with. I may be sensitive, but I do not stand by having someone curse me out for trying learning a video game that I just bought. And I know I could just leave the team, but I have heard the stories about people getting in trouble for dropping too many times and I live in a house where our internet becomes unusable when someone is using the microwave. So, I’m hoping to save those for a rainy day( or when someone wants popcorn).
    So, any advice?

Sorry for the long post, by the way.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of bundro
    bundro

I’d recommend turning off team chat or group chat while you learn the game. That way if there are rude people on your team it won’t affect your fun while you learn. Everyone starts from somewhere, and unfortunately even at higher levels some of this junk happens. Was in a match and a player on our team (Who actually was the worst one) turned on his mic just to say a lot of swears, slurs and insults. The whole game itself is about teamwork so don’t let a few boneheads drag you down. Just turn off team-chat for a while unless you’re playing with friends. One good thing is if you have a group, even if it’s only 1 other person, that voice chat takes precedent over team chat, so you’ll only be communicating with your friends not others on the team.

Jesslb429

Thanks @bundro. It was just flabbergasting that my first foray into this was one of the things I had spent so long trying to avoid.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

If you’re not playing Competitive (which you obviously aren’t at the moment), then you could easily justify turning off team chat. Quick Play and Weekly Brawls are not serious enough for me to bother listening to randoms potentially flaming each other (also, so far I’ve always played at least in a group of 2 for the 20% xp bonus, so I thus automatically join the group chat and I only bother to change in Competitive). If/when you start playing Competitive, you should join team chat though to increase your chances of winning (though most of the time no-one speaks anyway).

One piece of advice I have is: Wait until your teammates have picked, and then you pick a character. The general team comp consists of 2 dps (generally Offense heroes), 2 tanks, and 2 supports. I suggest getting good at two of those roles (although being good at all three isn’t bad either).

I assume with “rank” you mean “level”, right? Level doesn’t necessarily mean they are all that skilled, though. People can play hundreds of hours and still not learn that much, while others get really good in a smaller amount of time.

Jesslb429

@sylian Yeah, I meant level. I’m not sure why I was calling it rank. I swear I’m not new to gaming. Just shakey with this online muliplayer thing. But yeah, it was his level. He was treating the team with disrespect because, according to our levels, we were all what I am calling, Overwatch toddlers. We can walk and form some kind of communication, but asking us to do complex things other than just play with one another is going to take some learning. Honestly, I went back in later and was on a team with the highest leveled being 5 and we worked really well. We had a good balance.

As for characters, I was already kind of working toward that. Mei is one of my favorites, for many reasons, but I also feel comfortable with her and I want to learn her better. As well, I’ve really enjoyed Mercy and D.VA. Most offense characters are still need practice, include Tracer who I felt was a really natural fit (although I need to work on her ultimate because I may not have a handle on not blowing my butt up). After playing a little more, I’m feeling better about the whole thing. The entire night I was in a state over whether I sounded like a whiny spoiled child. “Someone cursed at me! So now I’m mad” kind thing. I was also worried I gave off the wring impression. I view playing with turbos as an entire separate thing. Turbos in the Minecraft server have people enforcing rules and good behavior for the sake of coexistence. It was the closest to playing with strangers I had ever gotten. I appreciate the help guys. :)

Profile photo of Royal Zoo
    JT-Lionheart

Yeah, it’s probably best to have players muted. It’s quite expected of this type of behavior from online when playing on PC. If I was ever to get anybody into playing online with strangers, PC isn’t really the preferred online community unless of course you only play PC.

I don’t necessarily play online much. But Overwatch is one of those games I want to get into because the Beta I played many months ago was really fun and I want to get into it again. It’s a shame though you aren’t having much fun online because of other people online. It’s a shame you don’t have it on PS4 or maybe you don’t have one. We turbos would like for you to join the fun on PS4 as well.

Jesslb429

I don’t have PS4 @jt-lionheart or I would have snapped it up right away. Wish I did, but in a fit of not thinking I bought an Xbone and have had it since Sunset Overdrive came out. I regret it and would like to save up for a PS4. And I can’t trade in cause my DAI saves are there.

Profile photo of Sylian
    Sylian

I think there are more Turbos playing the PC version than PS4 version, actually.

Jesslb429

There probably are. I mentioned it, but I hesitate to add them mostly because I’m afraid of being a bother.

Profile photo of FATE Creator
    FATECreator

@jesslb429 I want you to keep in mind one thing: No one is a bother in this community. Although I don’t play Overwatch I can tell you what any other VGA Overwatch player will say: Don’t worry about anything, they’re more than happy to have a new ally to play the game with.

As for the voice chat…Erg, apologies if this gets a little rant-y, but…It’s because of the ludicrous behavior of these IDIOTS (Swine actually seems like a more fitting term to call these people by don’t you think?) that I don’t play LoL, it’s the reason when it comes to Pokemon I’m a Competitive Breeder instead of a Competitive Player. This world is filled with almost nothing but absolute hate and animosity…and it’s unfortunately why I see a therapist every week…

Anyways that is what makes VGA’s community different. We don’t hate or spite one another. VGA Turbos and Shadows are gamers at heart, we all play games and we do so as a community to enjoy them, so don’t worry about joining the VGA Overwatch group. (If anything, they’d rather have someone who just started playing the game than any of these swine no matter how good they may be anyday.

Profile photo of Royal Zoo
    JT-Lionheart

Well whenever you do get a PS4 in the near future, make sure you tell use here. We would love to add you as a friend online. As for the other turbos on PC, I doubt you’ll be a bother. If you have a mic and get in a private party with them to play, I’m sure they’ll help you with Overwatch and making online feel fun. That’s how I am, the only time I can get around to playing online is if I have people on my team I can chat with you know.

Profile photo of FATE Creator
    FATECreator

Actually, that’s the perfect moral I’ve learned from online that JT just mentioned: Never play Online with random people, playing it with friends makes it much better.

As another example, I do not like Minecraft, I really don’t enjoy the game that much. The only time I find it tolerable is when I’m playing with the community, other than that it’s practically a no go.

Jesslb429

Sorry for not replying sooner guys. The past few days have been rough, but first I wanted to say how much I appreciate your advice. Once I can get all my ducks in a row, I think I’ll go and add some people. I haven’t played the past few days, mostly because of my stress level not needing to be any higher. But again, thanks :)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.