What's The Next Zelda That VGA Should Play?

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! What's The Next Zelda That VGA Should Play?

This topic contains 135 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KingOfHeart gukingofheart 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Profile photo of dudester100
    dudester100

I know everyone says to do majoras mask but i think they should play twilight princess while they wait for an HD remake of majoras mask what do you guys think?

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 135 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Profile photo of BluHawk007
    bluehawk007

Well…
    They have stated in the past they sorta wanna go by the timeline so the only logical games next are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks.

But, if they want to go down a different timeline MM will be the way to go. Mainly because everyone is expecting a re release of MM which could happen this year and if that happens they SHOULD play MM. It may be “side quests- the game” but thats not a bad thing,in fact, its a pretty cool concept. In addition, MM will lead to Twilight Princess which has Midna. And Midna is cool.

However…the next Zelda will most likely finally have a trailer this E3, which is in 2 months. Depending on when that game comes out will mean if its played this year or not. So it all depends on what happens I guess.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of BluHawk007 bluehawk007.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Oidisco
    oidisco

Oh Zelda U definitely wont be out this year. You can be quite certain of it.
    But yea, I think they should hold off on playing MM for now. As much as I love the game, it has aged really badly (dat goddamn framerate), and is not exactly a user-friendly game in my experience. With all the hints of a 3DS re-release, it’d be better to wait a year or 2.

I’d say Twilight Princess would be a good one to play next. It’s by far my least favourite 3D Zelda, but I still think it’d freakin awesome on the show!

Profile photo of Gingy
    Gingy

Twilight Princess!

If only because Midna was, and still is, my favourite side kick character.

Profile photo of Reelax
    Reelax
    Blocked

I’d really like to see Fraser iron out the whole “giving tips” and “backseat gaming” thing before they play any more Zeldas. It’s incredibly unclear as to when they want help and when they don’t, and I’m sure if they said “tips ONLY when we ask for them or you get a TO”, Turbo chat would comply.

Apart from that, I’d personally like to see them play MM before it gets pussified like OoT 3D. TP would be my second choice.

Profile photo of Oidisco
    oidisco

@reelax
    That’s been the rule for a long time now. We’re only supposed to help out when they ask for it, and clearly not everyone complies.
    And how was OOT3D pussified? It’s an absolutely vetter version of the game in just about every way.

Profile photo of Reelax
    Reelax
    Blocked

Based on how strictly the rules are enforced in the shadow chat (I have no experience in the Turbo Chat since I’m not a “turbo”), I’m pretty sure that rule could be enforced if they wanted.

As for OoT 3D vs Original: built-in cheat stones, the Water Temple that no longer requires you to think, fairies that fill your life meter upon death instead of giving you eight hearts, blood in certain sections removed like at the bottom of the well, Ganon’s blood changed from red to green, Link giving obvious hints by turning to face objects of interest without player input, even more annoying “parental control mode” Navi telling you to get off the game every 30 minutes.

Profile photo of Gingy
    Gingy

B-b-but they gave Ruto fins! Half kiddin there.

It was an okay port, not sure if I appreciated the changes to the Water Temple. I say, everyone should taste the horrors of the Water Temple atleast once in their life!

Anyways. My vote still goes to Twilight Princess. Asides from Midna, it still had quite a lot going for it. The cute bug girl. The music. Overall it’s just a fun Zelda game.

Profile photo of SkittleE
    SkittleE

I would love seeing them do MM next, admittedly because I’m even worse at playing games than Fraser, but play them very similarly; so although I’m too impatient to get better at and beat the game on my own, I could watch him play it instead with funnier commentary then what I’d get by myself. Heh.

Profile photo of Mollypop
    Mollypop

I’d like to see Twilight Princess. :]

dudester100

To me Twilight Princess in comparison to other zeldas it was the most epic I mean I got chills at some parts man it was awesome I mean don’t get me wrong there were other good moments in other zeldas but I dunno TP just stands out to me i guess because it was the first one I played.

Profile photo of Sigvatr
    Sigvatr

Spirit Tracks, the quest for the most boring and stale Zelda ever invented, even by Zelda measures!

Profile photo of Polybius_Zero
    PolybiusZero

MM because of the backseat gaming!

Profile photo of Volotaire
    Volotaire

Given that are not really playing the top down games fully (except for FSA), they’ve got a choice of Twilight Princess (TP) and Majoras Mask(MM). MM is the first in the child timeline , then TP. I don’t think PT and ST would be great for the show due to the constant use of the stylus or touchscreen.

Majoras Mask would be the best choice next but the condition of the original game has aged poorly in terms of performance. The frame rate is at 20FPS and the drops in framerate would be frustrating (down to 15fps). There are audio glitches/imperfect porting of the audio on the gamecube and virtual console releases. Because Zelda U is probably being released in 2015 (due to the announcement of Hyrule Warriors and Smash being the big Winter game of 2014), there is a chance MM comes out during this year or the next.

Grezzo has not released software since last year (and this was a Street Pass game). So they have been working on a significant game release since 2011. They are either supporting development for another game or are working on MM 3D. MM 3D would be a better choice to wait for because of the graphical updates, the consistent 30FPS target and the updates they’ll give to the game in terms of accessibility and aesthetics (as proof in Ocarina 3D).

If MM is not announced between E3 and end of the year, then they should start Twilight Princess imo. Although I think TP benefits from playing MM and OoT first as TP has cool references to both games, it would be the obvious choice. Also, Fraser said he played Twlight mostly before, so MM 3D should be a priority imo.

@reelax

1) The built in ‘cheat stones’ is done for accessibility. Most people who can’t figure out what do to next on a game would probably just look it up on a walkthrough online. So imo it’s a good system to keep the accessibility of the games high for new Zelda players or younger players, and keep players within the game without having to exit the experience. You don’t need to use them, they are optional.

2) The blood in the well is not removed. Look more carefully at screenshots. A screenshot is uploaded to this post to show the comparison. I think that the game is a bit too light in areas, removing some of the darker undertones of the original.

3) Ganon’s blood was changed in version 1.2 N64 original version from red to green, this was not a OoT 3D change. Here is a lnk to the version differences. http://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/oot/generalknowledge/version-differences

4) I do agree with the fairy change, it does change the pacing of the difficulty, as well as the parental controls. Although can you turn off the parental controls settings?

5) The water temple changes imo are in line with the MM design as the water temple in that game (which gave indication of the water flow). I think its better in terms of accessibility again, as it’s frustrating for new players to keep track.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Volotaire Volotaire.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Volotaire Volotaire.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Evanatt
    Evanatt

I guess they will do a first look on A link between world first, so Becky can play it on her own after that :).

As for majora’s mask, I wonder if the gamecube version is better than the N64? At least the OOT gamecube version looked a bit clearer than the n64. I don’t know how the wii downloadable is like though?.
    But just as people say here, if they possibly will make a remake (which is not for sure even?) then it’s probably wait to that.

Volotaire

@evanatt

No the gamecube version is a straight poor emulation job, with sound irregularities (they bring this up on the Zelda collector’s version disc as a warning). The frame rate is still as bad as the original. I think the resolution is doubled, although that’s the least of the worries in this port. The game also has had freezing problems with some people on the gamecube (but not in my experience). At the moment, the best way to experience it would be the wii virtual console release.

480p and 24-bit colour on VC and GC Collector’s Version vs

240i and 16-bit colour on N64.

The Gamecube version does have rumble, which the Virtual console (VC) dosen’t.

Profile photo of Gingy
    Gingy

As far as Navi always telling you to take a rest goes, strangely enough, I’m with that, if only because it set up so many comedic moments in the show itself.

Still, you’d think this kind of thing would only exist in chinese MMO’s

So imo it’s a good system to keep the accessibility of the games high for new Zelda players or younger players, and keep players within the game without having to exit the experience. You don’t need to use them, they are optional.

I can never really agree with this line of argument when it comes to situations such as these, on the grounds of one reason alone. We were that young ourselves back then, in an age where online walkthroughs were non-existent.

Profile photo of whatnopie
    whatnopie

For the sake of Fraser’s wrists, I’d strongly advise that they avoid the DS games all together. Even though I would put Spirit Tracks in my top 3.

I’d say they should go back and do a 2D Zelda like A Link to the Past next time since we’re waiting in hope for a MM remake and TP has a few MM references which would be a shame for them to miss out on.

Volotaire

@gingy Back then, magazine articles provided walkthroughs and there were gaming guides. In the early 2000’s, walkthroughs appeared on numerous game websites and on gameFAQ’s, neoseeker in text form. Many people don’t complete games that they get continually stuck and frustrated, out of loss of interest or due to other games/interests’. I think there’s a good statstic on this , and some Steam user statistics about users completing games.

I kept coming back to Majoras Mask from when I first played it after I completed other Zelda’s, because I couldn’t move on. I’m a guy who dosen’t use walkthroughs unless I’m continually stuck/clueless. As I grow older, my patience for figuring out stuff at the expense of carrying on the game/doing other activities is getting smaller.

I don’t get understand they can’t be in the game. As I said, it’s optional. It helps with the flow of the game if players are continually stuck for players that need a little nudge or have little patience/time, and doesn’t need to be utilised by players who do not require it.

In terms of future game development of new games, it helps satiate players who want harder experiences/challenges while newer, inexperienced or younger players can still get through these with optional help. DKCR and SS are examples of this Super Guide optional system. I can’t really comment further than that on the systems since I used neither.

Profile photo of TravelerSF
    travelersf

I’ll just ditto a lot of you and say that I’m hoping for Twilight Princess. As I’ve understood, Frasier doesn’t really like playing games that haven’t aged well (aside from retrospectives), and MM could truly be “a shock”.

Twilight Princess was my first Zelda and though I might have a bit rosier memories about it than most people do, I remember it being pretty good. It was fun, had interesting locations, battles and the darker tone gives it it’s own kind of edge. Also Midna helps the game BY A TON. Link himself isn’t much more than a blank slate, so having a more fleshed out character like Midna following him gives the adventure a more personal feel.

Profile photo of badthoughts
    badthoughts

I’m totally up for Twiglet Princess next, I think it’s the second best 3D Zelda after Wind Waker personally, I get the feeling Fraser will wind up disagreeing with that opinion but I think they’ll like it and I’d love to watch them play it.

Profile photo of kkslider555
    kkslider555

Twilight Princess would be cool but I’d be sad by them skipping Majora’s Mask. And really I don’t found the game to be more difficult than OOT, barring some of the confusion in the temples and one optional section of the finale.

dudester100

So all in all i say we can all agree as well as hope for them to play Twilight Princess next man i can’t wait. :D

I was going to say MM, but Fraser said he does not want to go that old.
    So logically there’s two choices.

1. Twilight Princess. I know Fraser likes Minda
    2. MM Remake(if it happens from now til Xmas)

There’s no other logical choice based on the Fans like, and Fraser’s like.

eh dont like tp, a link to the past would be nice

Given that I only like 3 Zelda games, I hope they would play Zelda II(oh the Frage), Zelda I, or A Link to the Past, but I don’t see that happening at least any time soon.

Profile photo of TJgalon
    TJgalon

A little dated or not, Majora Mask was a lot of fun, and it a shame to just go by that as a reason to not play it.

Twilight princess would be fun to, either game, I am hoping and soon. Fraser did say, costume making, slowing down playing games, at least with a Zelda game, costume are already ready.

Profile photo of hylian17
    hylian17

They own Tingle’s Rosy Rupeeland so why not that?

Profile photo of TJgalon
    TJgalon

Aslo, they mention not doing costumes for every game, which is also fine, just saying, zelda costumes are ready, hehe.

Profile photo of Earthjolly
    Earthjolly

Okami

jejejje

Profile photo of Raggedstar
    Raggedstar

Unless Majora’s Mask gets remade and tweaked, I’m in agreement with the Twilight Princess crowd. It’s structure is more familiar and is more story/character driven. Not saying that Majora’s Mask is terrible for the show (maybe Lonesome?), but in my experience playing it (and the reason why I haven’t returned to it in nearly a year), you really need to have SOME idea of what you’re doing or else you’re borked. There is a lot of world building and character in it, but they’re hidden behind time sensitive events (with many quests requiring a lot of time to retry. And oh the waiting…). I could also imagine the 3-day mechanic itself and the save system causing problems. I know I’ve tried for a long time to win the Goron race, got the item, but didn’t have enough time to get the guys to make my new sword. Turns out it didn’t save when I played the Song of Time and lost the item I worked so hard to get. I could see something like that happening on the show.

Spirit Tracks I wouldn’t mind if that’s an option because of how cute it is (PLEASE no Phantom Hourglass), but I prefer Twilight Princess.

But I’m also in even more support of Okami :3

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Raggedstar Raggedstar.
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.