Gamescom 2017!

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! Gamescom 2017!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 158 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  missblow 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

missblow

Heyo buddies!
    Fraser and I are headed to Gamescom! We will be there from Wed. Aug. 23 to Tues. Aug. 29. Not sure which days we will hang out with fans yet, but we will definitely do some stuff on that weekend!

Having not been to Germany OR Gamescom, we have lots of questions! It would be great it peeps who’ve been could help shed some light on what to expect!

QUESTIONS
    How much does Gamescom cost?
    Wed., Thurs. and Fri. tickets are € 14,00. Sat. is € 18,00. You have to register on this site in order to buy tickets.

Would you recommend going to the show floor every day? Or would one day be enough?
    I’m assuming Fraser and I will do the show floor every day. Not super helpful, but I found this Gamescom timeline.

What hotels would you recommend?

Are there any good places to eat around the convention?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Tickets lose validity as soon as the ticket holder leaves the grounds. So no leaving Gamescom, once you’re in. (Thanks for pointing this out below guys!)

I’ll be updating this post as we solidify plans! Can’t wait!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  missblow.
Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 158 total)
  • Author
    Replies

dagfari

What touristy things do local Cologneians or regular attendees recommend?

mrzodd

I only live around an hour away (Voreifel represent) and occasionally work in Cologne, but it’s starting to become quite difficult for me to get some time off from work in that week so far. Here’s hoping I can find a way to join in at least in the evenings for some beers sometime, because if I don’t manage to meet up with you guys while your in my neighbourhood I will literally lose my shit.

rnbrocker

Sorry everyone that I haven’t posted anything for over two weeks now. I was pretty busy writing on some papers – and commenting on Fraser’s Twitter posts. :P I just want to let you know that I didn’t abandon this thread. I’m preparing a long post to answer all your questions @thecvgun123, @dagfari and @trancilian – it’s already five DINA4 pages long and still not finished.

I’m trying to finish it this weekend. Sorry for the inconveniences.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  rnbrocker.

hrotgarmr

@dagfari

I don’t know too much about touristy things, but you HAVE to visit the chocolate museum.
    It’s really neat, interesting and in the end you can create your own chocolate :D

rnbrocker

Like @hrotgarmr mentioned, @dagfari:

– You can visit the Chocolate Museum.
    It’s only a seventeen-minute walk away from Cologne Main Station. You can even get a custom-made Lindt chocolate bar in the end, as well as chocolate samples from their giant chocolate fountain in the beginning.
    Adress: Am Schokoladenmuseum 1A.
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
    Prices: Adults 11€, concession 9€, school pupils/children 7.50€, visitors with disabilities 7.50€, children under 6 years free, family ticket (2 adults and their own children up to 16 years) 30€.

PS: This is a sample from the long post I was talking about. ;)

DeviloGrando

Sorry for not coming back until now, had some technical difficulties.

I actually am from germany but I am kinda mythed about what I should do, maybe some other germans can help with the decision.

First off, what things are typical german things someone who has never been here should have tried?
    Personally I think “Currywurst” and “Waldmeister”… not in one, but as two seperate things.

second, should I bring a present that represents my town, something I like or something generally german?
    So far, the only thing I found would be local Schnaps, the german Cardgame “Abluxxen” or… Haribo Candy.

third, should we all pull a Euske?
    By that I mean, put a bunch of candy into a paper bag, spread it on the ground and let all the people who are visiting germany take some?
    I’d be up for donating some of those “mixed bags” towards this cause.

missblow

Haha, cute idea @devilogrando! Whateva works for you!

Seems like the weekend will be the best time for TURBO hang out times. Fraser and I might want to get our bearings Wed. and Thurs. But, as we always say, keep an eye on Twitter!

hrotgarmr

@devilogrando :

Whenever I visit my friend in Canada I bring some german chocolate (Lindt and stuff), marzipan and some local stuff (Burger Brezeln or whatever).
    Wurst could be annoying, because you have to check it at the airport.
    I tried bringing some Jagdwurst and it ended with me having to open my suitcase and showing them what I was bringing.

I’d totally be up for a Euske, too.
    Gonna bring tons of candy myself, so that’d be fun.

DeviloGrando

The hotel I stayed at last time is completely booked on that weekend so, I did a reservation at a hotel “close” to cologne and I am surprised how hard it was to even find prices for the train tickets from that place to cologne.
    35,99€ (thu>fri) / 47,64€ (fri>sat & sat>sun) isn’t too expensive… but I am not sure how much the train tickets would end up costing me. (I only got a friday gamescom ticket, so I have to figure out the prices for saturday)
    https://www.hotel.de/de/home-hotel-haan/hotel-121371/

other than that… I just found out I might be on a very tight budget ^^”
    Either that or I am horribly miscalculating the ticket prices for the trains right now…
    I will have enough for the trip, the hotel, meals and drinks though.

TheCvgun123

took this screenshot off the bus/train schedule app I use called Wanderu @devilogrando

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  TheCvgun123.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mrzodd

As an advice I’d say to use Germany’s “regional day ticket” or in German “Schöner Tag Ticket”. With these tickets you can use all trains in the federal state for one day, no matter how many trips you take or if it’s a train or the metro or even a bus. Since Cologne is in the state “North Rhine-Westphalia” it is smartest to also book a hotel that’s in that state.

Check it here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/regional/regional-day-tickets.shtml?dbkanal_007=L04_S02_D002_KIN0060_SPARPREIS-GRUPPE-LAENDERTICKET2_LZ01 (bahn.com is the official site for trains in Germany)

Now you’d think it’s rather expensive with 30 € a day for a single person, but you can use these tickets for up to 5 persons, which then increases the costs to 44 €, but that in total for all 5 people. So when you split that between the 5 people buying the ticket, you end up with an all-day-train-pass for 9 bucks a person.

The only problem with it is that you only have 1 ticket for all 5 people and always have to travel together. So it’s the smartest choice for a group of Turbos that live in the same hotel and plan on basically spending the entire trip together.

Paltar

As I just looked up public transportation in Cologne for myself I thought I’d post some options here. You can find the information here:
    http://www.kvb-koeln.de/german/tarif/eng.html

If your hotel is in or close to Cologne you don’t need a regional ticket – you can use a city ticket. They come in many variations and prices depending on how far you travel so here I only list tickets of category 1b – meaning inside the Cologne central region.
    Single ticket: 2.80 EUR
    4 x ticket: 11.00 EUR
    Day ticket (1 person): 8.60 EUR
    Day ticket (5 person): 13.10 EUR
    Week ticket (1 person): 25.10 EUR

So if you come with a group, the 5 person day ticket is a good option. Otherwise consider a day ticket or week ticket depending on how long you stay.

whatnopie

Just booked coming to Gamescom with a couple of mates for the Friday and staying for the weekend! With E3 starting I’m getting right excited for this now!

DeviloGrando

@paltar
    According to the website you linked, I need to pay 11,40€ for a ticket from Haan (the town where the hotel is) to Cologne and I fear the “KölnTicket” won’t count this far outside of Cologne. That town is almost bordering Wuppertal.

Speaking of the “KölnTicket”… It would be wise to know if these will be mandatory for the meetups, if we are going to any big places as a group. Honestly with this being a “once in a blue moon”-scenario I am thinking there might be alot more people showing up than the 29 people that posted in this topic and getting a bunch of people into a pub or restaurant… oh boy, I hope this will go alright.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by  DeviloGrando.

Paltar

@devilogrando , that far out this ticket system gets even more complicated. But as I understand it, the 11.40 € ticket the site lists for your route is indeed the same as the city tickets I mentioned. But category 5 instead of 1b. So a day ticket would be 25.30 covering the trip to Cologne and back and unlimited travel within the city. Or 22.80 for only there and back again.

As the ticket system is kind of complicated, maybe you could contact you hotel and ask what they recommend?

trancilian

Maybe it would be fun if we had a topic(or perhaps in this thread) where people could introduce themselves if they are going to the meetup. So we’d kinda know who to look out for when we’re there. Even though I’ve been a turbo for a long time, I hardly know anyone outside of a couple of editors and several turbo’s.

FATECreator

Hey you folks have heard about whose going to kick off the event right? I won’t spoil it if you haven’t heard but all I have to say is, daaamn. From what I’m seeing this individual was just announced as kicking off the event today.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  FATECreator.

rnbrocker

@fatecreator: I looked it up. All I can say is: LOL!

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  rnbrocker.

Paltar

@fatecreator I hadn’t heard about that before now. That is a weird choice.

TheCvgun123

Sooo who’s got more tips?

DeviloGrando

I forgot if this has been brought up yet or not, but it might be something that should be in the top post aswell?

In germany we use a system we call “Pfand”, it’s essentially an additinal cost of 0.25€ on each plastic bottle (and can) and 0.08€ on glass bottles.
    While you might think “What, paying more for drinks? WHAT A RIP-OFF”, you can cash-out your empty bottles and then get the money back… which you then spend on another set of “Pfand”. I am not sure if this was ment to encourage returning bottles, as I sometimes still see people throwing those bottles and cans in the garbage, essentially throwing away 0.25€ …

I hope this wikipedia except is correct and less confusing than my explanation.

TheCvgun123

so sorta like we charge deposit on most recycled plastic and glass cans and bottles for $0.05

rnbrocker

I’m very sorry that my large post still isn’t finished, @thecvgun123. So, to pass time a little bit, I thought I ramble about something in Cologne’s nearby city Düsseldorf.

Did you know that Düsseldorf has one of the largest Japanese communities – living outside of Japan – in the world, with around 6500 people? The high Japanese population is due to the fact that many Japanese companies have their German or European headquarters in Düsseldorf (sadly, not Nintendo; their European headquarter is located in Frankfurt am Main).

So, naturally, the Japanese people tried to establish themselves in the new German environment. Today, there is a small part of the inner town that the locals call “Little Tokyo”, because of the high density of Japanese stores. But all over town, you can find hints of the Japanese culture.

So, here is a list of Japanese things you can find and/or do in Düsseldorf (maybe, this is also interesting for @ffstv and @missblow).

– An original Buddhist temple: http://www.eko-haus.de/
    – Authentic Japanese restaurants, like: https://www.kikaku.de/ or http://brickny.com/takumi/ – there are just too many to list them all. There is also a real traditional Japanese restaurant, but I can’t remember its name
    – An onigiri store: http://waraku.de/
    – A manga cafe, where you can read as many Mangas (or watch as many anime) as you like, in a certain time: https://de-de.facebook.com/mangahof/
    – Two Japanese bookstores: http://www.bookstorenippon.jis.de/ & http://www.takagi-books.de/
    – Two Japanese bakeries: http://bakerytaka.de/ & https://www.facebook.com/bakerymyheart (the latter one is my favorite)
    – A Japanese supermarket: http://shochiku-online.com/de/
    – As well as some mixed Asian supermarkets, like: http://www.dae-yang.de/ or https://www.kimsasia.de/deutsch/hanaro-supermarkt/ (the latter is one of the bigger)

…and many other things. Sadly, most of the linked websites are only available in German; and, for those who can read it, in Japanese. ;)

Something that should be mentioned is that there is a large festival every year which the Japanese community hosts in cooperation with the city of Düsseldorf, called “Japan-Tag” (“Japan-Day”). The highlight is always the big firework above the Rhine river.

Düsseldorf also has a Japanese school (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Japanische_Internationale_Schule_in_D%C3%BCsseldorf)
    as well as several Japanese kindergartens.

Düsseldorf is only a 30min train ride away from Cologne! ;)

TheCvgun123

it’s all cool @rnbrocker I love reading all this ; )

Evanatt

I haven’t meet any of the people in here. So I am totally unfamiliar with most people ^^;. But you’ll spot me being the one with red long hair, glasses, probably wearing dark colored clothes?, maybe a hat?.

I’m not sure if I’ll be on the convention itself?. But I will be in cologne for a while (since I’m anyway staying with friends that time, so I’ll be in town most of the week I think?, though I may rest the beginning of the week after returning from a metal festival.
    I dunno how much internet access I’ll have in my stay (since I’ll basically stay 3 weeks in Germany overall).
    So hopefully somewhat time for meet up will be planned ahead? (so far it seem to be the weekend?)

damauci

Heyo,
    I am still unsure if I can show up, but I’d really like to!
    I might be able to stay in Düsseldorf for some days.

Gamescom itself doesn’t excite me that much, since I’ve been kinda disappointed the last time I’ve been there (too many people, too few open booths, etc…)… but meeting Frash, Becky and other fans would be awesome!

TheCvgun123

is dusseldorf the best place to stay?

damauci

@thecvgun123 I am not sure about the hotel situation, since I might be staying with relatives. But both cities are close enough to each other so that Düsseldorf seems like a a good alternative.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  damauci.

TheCvgun123

good to know I’ll jot it down in my ever growing pile of notes lol @damauci

DeviloGrando

@rnbrocker do you happen to know how much a ticket from Cologne to Düsseldorf is?
    Infact, if @missblow and fraser want to go there, maybe we can throw together some money for several “group tickets” and make the trip less expensive.

I was in Düsseldorf a few times due to a cardgame sneak preview tournament, but never really went anywhere else, besides that.

I also vaguely remember an asian shop being across the street of “Hive-World” (another cardshop) in cologne. However, I think it might just be a rather small shop though.

Viewing 30 replies - 61 through 90 (of 158 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.