Mod Grievance Thread

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! Mod Grievance Thread

This topic contains 859 replies, has 165 voices, and was last updated by  nabor605 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

isophist
    Keymaster

Have a problem with how we’ve dealt with something? Here’s your place to get a conversation in about it. Public and transparent. We’ll tell you why we did it the way we did, and everyone can read it to agree or disagree with you.

Be prepared: If you want to make your case public, that could mean making other things public. If you’re going to come in here and claim to have a clean slate, we’re going to tell people if you’re lying.

That out of the way, the purpose of this thread is to get problems out in the open instead of growing into real issues later, when a conversation could have ended it all amicably. Give us a fair complaint or concern, we’ll give you a fair response (some replies may take more time than others). If you come in all, “Meh, I was banned, meh!” we’re going to say, “Yup.” We’ll need reasons. If we’re screwing up, we need to know.

Quick tip: Take a few deep breaths, first. Come in raging, you’re not helping anyone.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by  isophist.
Viewing 30 replies - 811 through 840 (of 859 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Kahn83

so i guess my comment IS worth a perma ban without prior warnings?

well then… it was fun supporting VGA while i could,but if i cant even make a remark about mods in a joking way without someone taking offense to it,then there is little reason to stick around,thanks for the fun years VGA,im out

bundro

@kahn83 if you are going to make a statement regarding a ban that has been placed to you, maybe actually describe what happened rather than open with a passive aggressive,rude comment. I have no idea what you are referring to, but your post alone makes me side against you.

Kahn83

i did make a statement,its a few posts further up,it got completely ignored

bundro

Then private message a mod directly, going into a forum acting snippy won’t help you out if you are questioning their decisions.

Kahn83

i did that as well,i tried doing that during the stream it happened on with 2 different mods,i still got ignored,dont matter though really,i dont join many streams,but It’s the principle of the matter.

syretha

I’ve muted pm’s in Twitch, too many hateful insults and toxicity,
    I was not modding the show you were banned from, so I would not want
    to undo another’s decision without hearing their reasoning out first.
    Will bring this up with the others

Kahn83

That will be great,TY!

chrya

When there is a live show, I usually ignore private message. This forum is for questioning our decision.

I might have been a little harsh with a ban, but attacking the mods is still against one of the rules.

Your ban has been lifted for now.

Kahn83

TY for unbanning me,i didnt mean it as attacking in anyway,ill be more careful with how i phrase stuff.

Sylian

I wouldn’t say “sometimes shadow chat is better,less likely to get banned unless we have an uptight mod watching us :P” is really “attacking the mods” as much as “making a joke”, which is not against the rules (for the time being, anyway).

This post isn’t as much “Mod Grievance” as it is “giving some feedback”. Namely, I think the current Rule Compendium needs an update (perhaps a few adjustments would suffice). People sometimes seem to get timed-out or banned for things not on it, and some of the things are outdated (such as the SNARF/DERP system). Maybe add a rule about not disrespecting mods or something if you want to avoid situations like the Kahn83-incident.

mellisbaker

@sylian It’s really not a call you can make if something is a joke or an attack. Again, with chat, sarcasm isn’t something that can be communicated with chat, (with the exception of using the /s for sarcasm).

As far as rules go, two of the most common rules that are broken in chat involving a moderator are (Don’t be a dick and don’t harass others) and (Accusations of “power tripping” based solely on the moderators enforcing these rules). This situation kinda falls between the two, calling a mod “uptight” for enforcing the rules isn’t something that we take lightly. Although, the result has been a bit drastic, this particular situation has been resolved by both parties.

I believe the rules stated are fine, and would recommend that you read them COMPLETELY. Your example of the SNARF/DERP system has been updated a long time ago (Only when asked for advice does the SNARF/DERP system comes into play). Don’t state umbrella statements such as “a lot of people seem to be timed out or banned” when you don’t know that.

Sylian

I was under the impression that the SNARF/DERP system was scrapped entirely. Is it still in used then, but limited to “Only if the ask for advice first”? So if Fraser asks for advice, I (and other TURBOs) can use SNARF/DERP?

aughts
    Keymaster

Regardless of its use by Fraser, S/D was under heavy use for a long time and should be addressed as some people still like it and should know how to use it properly. And again, this thread is EXPLICITLY for grievances against decisions/person to person arbitration made by the mods, which can be confirmed by having read this thread at any point in time since its creation. If you have concerns with how the rules are structured, feel free to create a new thread or comment in the stickied FAQ thread.

rnbrocker

I usually take every ban silently; but a TO for saying “Nicolas Flamel was a real alchemist” – although I can see why this would be considered a spoiler – it’s a bit picky, imo. It’s just a historical fact.

EDIT 2: Sorry Iso for spamming.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  rnbrocker.

Shaun

It could be a spoiler depending on when in the movie you said it. A big plot point was them not knowing who he is.

rnbrocker

Yeah. I can understand this. I was just a little salty yesterday. I know the mods are just doing their job. ;)

rnbrocker

Lol, me again. Why was I timed out for “CUM back” xD lol xD They said something about “come back” and I thought my joke was pretty funny. You might not like it or find it stupid – but I don’t think it is bannable, srsly guys and girls. Come on. ;)

Kahn83

come on,even i know not to do something like that

1,thats a sexual reference

2,there are likely kids in the chat

and 3,they want to keep the chat semi clean,despite what is going on in the show

rnbrocker

1. Yes. 2. Since when is VGA a show for kids, with all the dick stuff and swearing and shit? xD The joke was incredibly stupid, but meant for a grown up audience. I don’t even think kids know the word “cum”. Why should they get the joke then? You only understand what I wrote if you know what the word “cum” means. And you are probably old enough then (sorry super-“christian” audience, EDIT: or whatever – if you are offended; but it’s true). 3. I guess so.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  rnbrocker.

rnbrocker

PS: I don’t want to cause any more trouble. I don’t expect an elaborate answer and I don’t want to exaggerate the ban from yesterday. I know why I was blocked; and if you were offended by what I wrote: I’m sorry.

rnbrocker

Am I getting banned at random now? Somebody wrote something about Dp in the chat and I get banned for writing about the Youtube startpage, because I’m bored with what is happening on the screen? Srsly. It’s not my fault that there is something weird on the startpage of youtube.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

mellisbaker

@rnbrocker Although I was not available during that particular show, something you stated in your comment caught my attention.

I get banned for writing about the Youtube startpage, because I’m bored with what is happening on the screen

We do state in the rules to at least stay on topic during shows. If you were bored with what the show had to offer, then there was no need for you to stick around in chat and post non-related topics just to bring attention to yourself. And to clarify, timeouts are not the same as being banned. If you were banned, you would not be able to return to chat whatsoever.

“DO IT” < this got me kicked out of chat.
    Is kicking the same as time out? I never seen this before

OldManJT

I’m new here as of today. I guess I did something wrong and got timed out. IDK for how long. No complaints really. It was probably too many ? in one post. But when I tried to log back in it said I was kicked. I guess I don’t know how things work or how long for. I’m really not trying to be a problem.

OldManJT

Please disregard my first comment. Just checked and I’m back in. I’m learning. I’ll try harder.

rnbrocker

“PC is still masterrace. Just throwing it out there.”

They talked about the PC show. Toed. Why? Thx.

mellisbaker

Yeah, that comment just comes across as baiting others into an argument. That’s why. Thanks.

Quazi

@oldmanjt

I think I was the one that timed you out. It was only because you had an entire sentence in Capslock; I’ve made that mistake tons. I get you were excited at the time, but I couldn’t justify an entire sentence of all caps.

Thanks for being cool about it.

OldManJT

Oh, thanks for the reply. I didn’t expect one.
    Nope, I know I didn’t write an entire sentence in all caps (that’s yelling) lol
    I might use “LOL” after saying something very clever (haha). But that’s about it.
    Pretty sure it was too many question marks. It was right after that I was kicked.
    Either way though, I do and did know the rules. Just need to retrain my old habits.
    Ironic part is when I went to school we didn’t have texting and all the cringy things people type.
    (didn’t have computers or cell phones or internet either.. but I digress.
    And I used to hate all that stuff from “the kids”. Now I’m just as guilty. SMH
    Thanks again for reply. Appreciated.

FistOfFiori

Just been kicked from Sony E3 chat, what did I do? I don’t think I broke any rules in the compendium?

EDIT: I was able to post again like 10 mins later so it was just a time-out. I don’t remember using too many of the same character or capitals, but then it was 2am, heh.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  FistOfFiori.
Viewing 30 replies - 811 through 840 (of 859 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.