Official MCA resource pack?

Home Forums Minecraft AWESOME! Official MCA resource pack?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  verykirsten 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

isophist
    Keymaster

We’re thinking about creating a limited resource pack for the server. We mostly just want better text, but are considering better signs, glass without streaks, and our own paintings.

We want some feedback from you guys about whether you’d want different paintings, since it’d change any paintings already used in builds.

(Yes, Fraser’s said before that he doesn’t like texture packs; we are not looking to change blocks or the look of the game)

Once mods get updated to 1.8, we’ll also be looking into making an official modpack for the server, using the mods we allow (InventoryTweaks, minimaps, NEI…). Do *not* post any packs on the forum, though. Once we know what mods will go into the pack, we’ll contact the mod makers to get permission. Without permission, posting the pack would be sort of… what’s the world… illegal. Once we have permission (hopefully), we’ll link it publicly. We’ll bring it up again when we’re closer to updating the server to 1.8.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies

luckysimon

I’m all for minor tweaks that you suggested, such as streakless glass etc (frankly, windows have always been kind of useless for windows with those streaks.

As for paintings, some community submitted paintings would be awesome, but as long as less than half were VGA specific. If it’s more than that, then using paintings will just make it seem more like a tf spawn room full of sprays, ya know?

isophist
    Keymaster

It’s a VGA server, so the paintings should be somehow related, but video games in general could apply. Or even just random (yet good) art from community members.

GiamModified

personally I already have a resource pack I made which I use, except when I play on my tablet. I’m curious to know how many people don’t use the default. at one point, a while back, I was actually working on a resource pack for MCA. I got tired pf working on it but I still have most of it. it’s mostly default. it has some block animations (e.g. the fire in a lit furnace. gold, diamond and emerald ore have a subtle sparkle, almost everything redstone has some sort of animation [usually a glowing pulse].) and a lot of items have animations. but most of the work I did was mcpatcher related such as connected bookshelves with random books, biome specific beds, unique bottles for different potions(animated) enchantment overlays that reflect the enchantment, and item degradation. I wanted to do more( e.g. biome specific skins on some mobs, or connected stained glass) but I grew tired of working on it.

if you think you might be interested in parts of my resource pack I can upload what I’ve done and you may use any parts you like.
    I also offer up my texture pack making skills if needed

luckysimon

I get that Iso, and I’m not saying don’t have any vga based paintings. But if all of the paintings end up vga stuff, it will just look tacky.

Variation is a good thing.

jimbojj26

I love the idea of new paintings in particular. I think a few VGA related ones should be included. That’s a given. However, a number of popular video game franchises should be as well, kinda like the banners on the VGA site. In any case, I’m curious as to how this’ll play out.

psepha

Hmm. Not sure what I think about the paintings. I mean, it starts either putting pressure on everyone to use that texture pack, or confusion between the different texture packs each person uses. Plus, we have some traditions with some of the existing paintings…

Personally I like the things the Faithful texture pack does with certain elements – in particular, the text used on signs and in the game in general. It’s way more readable. I’d be all in favour of just running everything in Faithful, but I’m guessing you’re trying to preserve the original look as much as possible and don’t want to upgrade to 32×32 textures though (but if you do, Faithful is definitely the way to go, since it just ups resolution but stays true to the original textures).

Would it be possible to do the same kind of higher resolution text with a lower resolution texture pack in general? I don’t know how these things work, lol.

isophist
    Keymaster

I don’t think we could really use another texture pack as a base and call it “ours.”

psepha

As far as the text goes, I’m not saying use Faithful – but take it as a guide for what kind of things can be done :)

GiamModified

I don’t like faithful32x32 very much anyways I’d rather have default Minecraft with small improvements like better text and different pictures, and yes it is possible to have a single resource pack have different resolutions for different things in it in an early version of the pack I mentioned I made before I used high resolution VGA-related images for paintings, just a warning: the resolution difference juxtaposition can be jarring,

TJgalon

While it a cool idea, I like my faithful mod pack to much to return to the normal blocky version

awkwardalex

I would love for us to have an official Mod Pack, all involved (I won’t have to do that guessing game of which download link is for the mod and which of the others is a big fat virus.) Plus it will make it very clear to the players what is allowed and what is not, which as I understand we got a good amount of Turbos with the Show and Trailer tonight, its a simple way for mods to say this what is allowed and what is not. (Because sadly we know some people will just blow past the amazing signs the Mods/Helpers made in Hub.)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  awkwardalex.

yo4you

I like the idea of a server texture.. For the better fonts on signs I did some research, if you want to use anything above 16x fonts you’ll need Optifine or something similar installed (at least from what I’ve tried). I also made screenshots trying out some. (The fonts I used: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/resource-packs/1237743-64x-32x-all-versions-hd-minecraft-font-default).
    For the modpack I’d like to recommend MapWriter (http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/1286882-mapwriter-an-open-source-mini-map) It’ll probably still be updated for 1.8 eventually. If used right this mod lets you have a map of an entire world you can open up whenever you want, as well as deathpoints, and custom markers.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by  yo4you.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

isophist
    Keymaster

It looks like Optifine won’t be a part of the pack; we’ll have to give instructions for adding it manually. I went ahead and messaged the makers of the mod, and they never got back to me. It seems they either don’t respond to anyone, and/or don’t allow it to be added to packs.

GiamModified

that’s because they don’t. they get their money from people having to get it individually, which they wouldn’t get if it was bundled. screw optifine, MCpatcher is better anyway.

FATECreator

Something just hit me on a change which might be valuable, perhaps a change can be made to the residue left by drinking effect potions (A.K.A. The spirals) so that the effect is reduced in some way or another.

verykirsten

If you were looking for ideas for cleaner text, I personally love the font in Paper Cutout. I think it’s a lot easier to read than the default text while still using the default resolution.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.