Questions for any canadians

Home Forums Everything Else Questions for any canadians

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  hrotgarmr 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

hrotgarmr

Hey guys.

As some of you might know (I mean, I can’t stop talking about it), I’m planning to move to Canada soon-ish.
    It’s still pretty early, after the person I wanted to move to suddenly got cold feet, forcing me to start all over again…
    But I contacted “Go Canada”, an organization helping you with the immigration stuff.
    So I’ve been gathering old documents from school, making lists, learning some history and english for the tests, etc.
    But I still feel like I got to do more.
    Do you have any tipps?
    It’s my first move outside of the country and I gotta do this right.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

missblow

That’s exciting @hrotgarmr. I’m so glad you’re still doing this! Are you still thinking of moving to Toronto area? Rent is very expensive there (as I’m sure you know). But it is LOVELY! I lived in Chinatown (College and Spadina), Kensington Market (near College and Bathurst) and the Annex (Bloor and Spadina). I LOVED that whole area and would totally recommend it. I also lived in Etobicoke, right near Humber Lakeshore College. It was ok, but downtown is way more fun. ALSO, my sister lived on the Danforth (Danforth and Pape), Greektown. Also a fun area! Anyways, that gives you an idea of some areas, but I’m sure it’s changed a lot in the last 12 years since I’ve lived there.

If you can think of specific questions, just holler! I’ll answer to the best of my ability. Being someone making a big move like this myself, I understand that you’ll probably have a million and one questions :)

hrotgarmr

Hi @missblow ,
    that’s so nice of you, thanks :)

I really, really love Toronto and I won’t stop until I’m finally there.
    Been working on it for two years and it’s been a nightmare, but just thinking about living there makes it all worth it, I’m sure you know exactly what I mean.

I’m actually talking to someone about a cool place on Greenwood Ave., that’s not too far from where your sister lived!
    It’s right around the corner from the School and a really neat british restaurant (The Borough, check it out if you’re ever back in town).

As far as questions are concerned, I really do have a billion of them.
    I only ever moved once and that was with help and within the country.
    Leaving the continent is a big, big step.

I guess my biggest question would be, if there’s anything I can do to help with my immigration chances.
    The peeps at “Go Canada” say I could get in through a Skilled Workers Program, but I know I probably need to pass some kind of test and they want literally hundreds of pages of old documents from school and work and the government and I’m panicking.

Obviously I can’t expect you to walk me through it, but as someone who got into Japan, what did you do?
    Did you do anything special or just went the normal route?
    Do you think I can do anything to make them want me?
    I don’t have a lot of money and I work freelance, I’m told that’s a big no-no.
    So I gotta do something else to make up for it.
    Maybe the CAEL?

I probably sound really ill-prepared and I kinda am.
    To be honest, I didn’t expect to do this alone.
    My Ex lives in Toronto, as you probably know, and our plan was to marry and get me in that way.
    Now I’m back at square one.

syretha

If your coming from the US, familiarize yourself with the metric system.
    The key to Canadian weather is to dress in layers, it changes every 5 min.

As for moving here and getting citizenship, getting a job is the only advice I
    can think of, I’ll link this thread to a turbo I know that’s made the move from
    the US to Canada (though they did marry a Canadian, so that helps)

hrotgarmr

I’m from Germany, actually, so I dodged that bullet^^
    Would still love his/her help, though, if that’s ok.
    And speaking of the metric system, I actually had some issues with “cups”.
    That stuff confused the hell out of me xD

missblow

Hmmm, I’m really not familiar with immigration stuff, so I’m not much help there. However, I feel like it’s MUCH easier to be here and apply for jobs, than to try and get jobs while still living in Germany.
    If you’re under 30, I *believe* it is possible to be a part of a Student Work Visa. But that only applies to some countries, so you’d have to look into that as well. I know my sister used that route to travel and work in Australia and New Zealand.

hrotgarmr

That’s actually a good idea, yeah.
    I could study for a semester and find a job in that time.
    A couple of companies contacted me on my LinkedIn, but it’s really hard to get the job when you can’t attend any interviews outside of Skype.
    As far as I understand I could stay for a year when I have a job and a place, which is more than enough time to get everything in order.
    So that’d be 18 months with the semester and I’d need a flat and some money to pay the tuition.
    It’s not perfect, but better than the plan I had so far.
    Thank you so much :)

merme

I don’t know anything about immigration via a student visa, all I can give advice on would be the marriage thing (which is no longer valid for you, so there goes that help) and through a job. I was lucky enough that the place my fiance (now husband) worked for were willing to get me a work permit to work for them. This enabled me to move to Canada in the first place, and then after I was married, to work on permanent residency.

It is tough to get a job when interviewing is hard, but aside from the student visa (which, again, I know nothing about), it’s probably you’re only option.

Also, I’m not sure, but I think that with some student visas you actually aren’t allowed to work. On my first work permit (and then my open work permit) I wasn’t allowed to study, or do anything but what the permit said, so be careful with that.

Immigration Canada is VERY strict about these things, and if you mess up at all it will affect you pretty much until you become a Canadian citizen.

What are you aiming for, by the way? Permanent residency, citizenship, or just moving there for a few years with whatever permit you get?

Not sure how it’ll be with a student visa, but I do know from observing my Filipino coworkers that it’s a very long process with a work permit. It was long enough with being married, but without a sponsor it takes so much longer. My manager at CT, he was in Canada for probably 8-ish? years before he became a PR, and then another couple for him to sponsor his family and bring them to Canada to be with him.

This was kind of rambly, sorry. The most solid advice I can give you is to fill out any forms you might need as soon as you can, gather all the paperwork you can (and make sure if it’s something important you either send them a copy or keep a copy for yourself, anything you send to them is not returned….unless you mess up the paperwork and they want you to fix it and send it back x.x). I know I had to give at least 10 years worth of my past addresses, and work places, so gathering that information may be helpful as well. But that’s for permanent residency, I guess, so I don’t know if you’re going for that or not.

Sorry I couldn’t be more coherently helpful!

hrotgarmr

@merme
    Your post was a lot more coherent than mine ;)
    My end-goal would be permanent residence, but I know that my chances are really slim.
    I don’t have a lot of money, nor any family in Canada.
    I’ve worked hard my entire life, but I don’t think they really need my experience.
    So I’ll take what I can get.

A couple of years would be great, too.
    Gives me times to figure something out and to test it, you know?
    I only ever lived alone once in my life, it was another city and a complete nightmare.
    So another continent will be a whole different ballgame.

Right now I’m working on a skilled workers visa, which the company I contacted thinks is the best solution.
    But that wouldn’t be permanent and my job is freelance only, which isn’t enough to get accepted.

Did your coworkers tell you how long they can stay with their visas?
    I remember my aunt had the same issue in Thailand.
    She had to leave the county once a year to request a new one.
    I could live with that, would have to visit my family anyway.

And a sponsor…might have to check that out.
    I do know a lot of people in Canada, maybe that’d help…

Right now I’m working on all the paperwork and money.
    School stuff from the last 22 years, work reference letters, etc.
    My plan is to throw hundreds and hundreds of things at them, hoping something in there is important.

I know it might never happen, but this is my dream.
    I literally dream of my time there all the time and my stomache hurts when I think about it.
    And I’m very, very stubborn.
    Been working on this for years and it’s been one loss after another, but I just kept trying.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  hrotgarmr.

merme

Visas can vary. Some visas last years, others only a few months. Another Turbo just recently moved to Canada for 6 months via her job, I think it’s just up to what immigration wants to give you.

My original work permit were yearly ones, and my open work permit was through 2019. *shrugs*

Also, I believe that with most visas, when you’re in the process of renewing them you don’t have to leave the country. If it’s expired you wouldn’t be able to work, but so long as the paperwork was filed to renew it and they were working on it, you’d be safe to stay in the country. Although that’s not much help if you don’t have a support system or a large bank account to help you through the waiting period @_@

hrotgarmr

Just means I have to be prepared for the worst.
    It seems like the whole thing is very unclear and can vary from person to person.
    Looks like I got a lot more work ahead of me, then :/

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.