VGA is coming to Helsinki, Finland! (Fan Meetup Roll Call & Planning)

Home Forums Video Games AWESOME! VGA is coming to Helsinki, Finland! (Fan Meetup Roll Call & Planning)

This topic contains 312 replies, has 84 voices, and was last updated by  RamiAirola 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

bonefoot

If you didn’t catch the latest show and trailer you might have missed the announcement: VGA is coming to Helsinki, Finland!

Well, more specifically it’s just Fraser and Becky that are going. Fraser didn’t elaborate on the reasons why they’re making the trip yet, but they’re planning on having a fan meetup on one of the days they’re there.

The meetup day is March 14th, Saturday.

The main initial meetup will happen at 1 PM at the Market Square. (Specifically at this fountain statue http://bit.ly/1Mpg8R6)

UPDATE: Food plans have gone up in smoke. We’ll see what happens. Prepare to just eat a healthy meal before the meetup so you can hold off till 6PM when we get to the bar. They serve pizza and sandwiches.

After eating we will head out to a bar called Thirsty Scholar (http://www.thirstyscholar.fi/en/ – Location: http://bit.ly/1BtKzCE) We have a 50-seat reservation there at 6 PM. Even more than 50 can come, there’s a maximum capacity of 250 and the owner says Saturdays are usually slow days for them. We’ll be there “all night” -Fraser 2015. Thanks to @wakacha for setting up this reservation for us!

The End.

Fraser lays out this plan in a new vlog:

#VGAHelsinki

Share this thread with any finnish (or anyone else you think might want to attend) VGA fans you know, in case they didn’t catch the show and/or are not frequent forum users.

Also join the Skype group @velvetripper set up for us if you want to stay up to date with people and happenings in real time both before and during the meetup.
    VelvetRipper: “Just add ossi.muurinen on skype and I’ll add you to our group. In there we can easily plan meetups and other stuff. Remember, skype is also available on your smartphone! ;) Also, it’ll be so much easier to get in touch once in Helsinki if everyone attending will be in the group.”

Torilla tavataan! ^^

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  .
Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 312 total)
  • Author
    Replies

saniala

Finnish Frash! Oh boy, I have to see if I can make it. Being somewhat northern person as well (not nearly as much as you Bonefoot), I need to start planning this trip and see if I can even afford it.

But first, I’ll have to watch that new Show and Trailer.

UrbanBanner

I will definitely try to be there!

I live in Kajaani, so if any other peeps are leaving here, PM me and we’ll see if we can work something out.

How long will this meeting most likely be? Should I try to look a place to crash for the night or even book a room somewhere? I guess we have to wait for details.

bonefoot

@saniala Definitely try to make it. Once in a lifetime opportunity!

@urbanbanner Nothing more is known about the meetup at this point. Could be that it’ll stretch till the night and some beers will be had. No idea tho. I’ll try to enquire some more info from Frash.

I’m personally making this a small vacation trip for myself. I’ve taken the Friday and Monday surrounding the weekend off from work. I’ll be leaving to Helsinki on a train (over a 10 hour train ride!) on Thursday night and will arrive there Friday morning. Then I’m staying at a hotel in central Helsinki for two nights, and heading home on another train Sunday night. Gonna do some city exploring or whatever else I can think of on the non-meetup days.

Also gonna film a bit. Doing a little travel vlog thingy for my youtube channel. Should be good times. Can’t wait to meet Frash and Beck, and everyone else who’s coming!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  .

repus

I guess I could come, its my city after all.

repus

I don’t know any places to eat nearby. If you want to check something on the web, I can check them out here for you.

readyeddie

This is amazing! I will definitely be there, I’ll be in a meeting at work, but that’ll only take little over an hour (and early in the morning, starting 8 am).

I live in Espoo, and visit Helsinki regularly, so I can likely help with finding places to eat.

It’s crazy, I’m actually off to PAX East tomorrow, and I’ll be back in Finland to meet the guys a SECOND time. This is way too weird. D:

Torilla tavataan, Suomi-fanit!

bonefoot

That’s hilarious @readyeddie. You might as well tag along with them to Finland, haha.

I still don’t know what Fraser wants to do during the meetup. If we’re going for dinner at some point, I think we’d want a place that’s not too loud, and perhaps has tables that hold larger amounts of people. We’ll have to see how many will be attending. And if we beer, then we need a place that beers. Somewhere somewhat close to the Market Square, within a walking distance.

If you guys want, you could scout out places like that around there, @repus and @readyeddie.

zeliah

So awesome ! I will be there if i can :)
    I live near Turku so only short driving trip.

travelersf

Wait what? What in the what what?

What?

What?

This I DID NOT see coming! I’ll be there of course, I moved to Helsinki last fall and have lived in the south my entire life. A friend of mine will be there too, so you can count us in!

I’m happy to finally be able to meet you @bonefoot. You might remember me as CoconutmilkFilms from Youtube and Twitter :D

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  travelersf.

bonefoot

@travelersf Ah! I don’t think I ever knew your account name here on this site, but I’ve of course seen you around here a lot too. Fun to see already familiar faces going!

prepaidpie

I’ll be there! (most likely, just gonna check how much a cruise from Stockholm would cost me)
    Does anyone know of a good hotel in Helsinki that is not too pricey?

Found this aswell: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/stay-and-enjoy/eat/food-helsinki-hel-yeah

Might be helpfull when trying to find a good place to eat.

darkbee

Perkele, I have to work that weekend. Also, a weekend trip to Helsinki (just to meet VGA and Turbos) on such short notice would be quite expensive.

readyeddie

@bonefoot I’ll do my best on suggesting places, and maybe a little scouting. Of course, anyone else is more than welcome to do their own research, since I’ll be back in Finland a week later.

I’d have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday time to do scout-out, but I might have jet lag exhaustion. :S

Of course, this is the best opportunity to finally get some use of my friends! Harr harr!

Anyhow, I won’t likely be around a laptop in another week. See ya then!

jonezi

I’ll be there, you can count on that.
    Tervetuloa, Frash and Beck! :)

travelersf

I could do some location scouting as well if I have the time, perhaps around Kauppatori?

missblow

Hey guys! I’m pretty pumped for this trip. Should be fun!

A friend of mine lived in Helsinki, so she gave me this list of places to eat/things to do!

~~~BRUNCH~~~

Fanny
    This is an awesome brunch place. It’s at the edge of a park in an awesome part of the downtown. They change the menu all the time so that they’re serving seasonally appropriate Finnish food. I’ve never been there in this part of the winter, but spring, fall and Christmas menus have been really nice.
    Unfortunately the English site doesn’t have any mention of the brunch buffet, but they take reservations for 10:30 on Saturday and Sunday, later than that you can show up and wait for a table. I think it’s 18€ for the buffet, pretty standard for Helsinki.
    http://l.facebook.com/l/KAQGqzMuzAQE_wgUs3fnN1QZLuIzf-y3WEDvAUrC2KD06tQ/fanny.fi/in-english/

Moko Market
    This place is popular and the food is good but they have a habit of running out of stuff like pancakes and sausages. It’s weird.

~~~LUNCH~~~

Salad buffets along Esplanadi are nice, and I’ve had good luck with smoked salmon in places that look nice.

Fazer Cafe
    Fazer is the most famous chocolate company here, it’s fun to go into the store and pick the wrapped chocolates out of the bins, or grab a dessert. I really enjoy the soups here, it’s one of the only places to get classic Finnish food for a good price. Nothing here is groundbreaking, it’s just classic and a nice atmosphere.
    http://l.facebook.com/l/RAQE0rUSYAQF0ejs_Ntx5km1-bBXmYUbn6g2mLpHUmFXCYw/www.fazer.fi/karlfazercafe

Burger King
    This is hilarious. I think that there’s only the one in Finland, and it is in a gorgeous Art Nouveau hall in the central railway station. I am 100% planning on taking my family to eat there because it’s absurd to have a fast food chain in a room that nice.

~~~DINNER~~~

Sandro
    Sandro is a super popular dinner choice for young people, I think you need to make reservations most of the time. The portions are huge and the food is quite good. http://l.facebook.com/l/BAQHztWucAQHASfvzhiOXS9F1jAG–OpHyQKQscs0AcTzcQ/sandro.fi .

Fafa’s
    Fafa’s is a semi-chain of falafel shops with a hipster vibe.

Lungberg
    Lungberg is also nice, we went for a birthday with 10 people and everyone loved the food. It’s pricey, because if you order meat you really just get meat so you need a side dish.
    http://l.facebook.com/l/HAQE2hCtXAQHrYjwKwpGr1j0igm3aEs2BVaEY84-qmXjMDg/www.lungberg.fi

Klaus K
    https://www.facebook.com/klauskhotel?ref=stream

Ravintola Teatteri
    Late night food and drinks https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ravintola-Teatteri/214766615201403

Café Talo
    https://www.facebook.com/CafeTalo

~~~DRINKS AND BARS~~~

Bar Llamas
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bar-Llamas/114795441927917?ref=stream

Flying Dutch Beer Garden
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flying-Dutch/198060243564933?rf=438306649525167

Los Cajones
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-Cojones/278454558920672?rf=374598489289667

Café Piritta

Music venues/clubs
    Tavastia – https://www.facebook.com/tavastia?ref=br_rs
    Baari Siltanen – https://www.facebook.com/siltanenbar?ref=br_rs

~~~THINGS TO DO~~~

Suomenlinna
    I love going here in the summer and fall, and I hear it is pretty in the winter too. It’s the fortress island and sometimes they also have events and activities. You can get there on a ferry that is covered under the normal transit day pass.
    http://l.facebook.com/l/yAQGheROKAQGqSeooECToGSq80QJePOsywEhDVcpZnZqEPA/www.suomenlinna.fi

Booze Tram
    It’s a licensed tram that goes on a pretty route through Helsinki.
    http://l.facebook.com/l/8AQE0Vl_nAQFhaqX00-nBmKv4Z8pX8iVOqooDf7bkEjLxAA/en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spårakoff

Helsinki Catherdral
    Never been, people like it

Vanhakauppakalli
    The downtown market hall.

University of Helsinki Main Library
    The centre of the library kind of looks like a vagina, which makes it fun and popular with tourists. (So clearly I’d like to see this, haha!)

Sibelius Monument
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sibelius-Monument/165573886802679?rf=127603727309034

Check out if there are any festivals etc going on. I haven’t done a lot of the touristy stuff because there is always a festival or concert or market or art show, almost all the time.

missblow

I find the above list incredibly daunting. So if anyone in the area knows if any of these things are good, speak up! If not, I’m sure we’ll figure it out when we get there. And, I’m sure Saturday we’ll do a dinner of some sort and end with beers somewhere!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  missblow.

jonezi

I live 30km north from Helsinki, but I only know the local music-shops :/
    Well, also where the Hard Rock Cafe and fast food joints are, but that’s about it.

UrbanBanner

I’ll try to make some calls tomorrow to find more about these restaraunts from my Helsinki friends. Haven’t visited any of these in the past, though I am mostly a man of simple tastes. That said, some of those places seem rather interesting, so why not?

I’ll update here, if anything comes up.

travelersf

I’ve lived in Helsinki a bit too short of a time to make proper suggestions, but Fazer is a pretty respected and loved brand over here so I’d suggest at least checking the Fazer Cafe. I know you’ve been gifted some of the more… exotic Scandinavian candy like Turkish Pepper, so checking out the actually good stuff would be a nice change. We can do good candy too. Honestly.

As for things to do, Helsinki Cathedral, Sibelius Monument and Suomenlinna especially would be nice things to visit. Generally speaking I think our natural landscapes are the #1 thing for tourists to check, so the terry trip to Suomenlinna through the many small isles at the coast would be worth it I think.

I also think that just visiting the marketplaces could be fun, you could browse and buy the local foods and try everything out, see what you like. There should be sellers at the marketplace where we’ll have the meetup, but there are many others across the city as well.

For other things I could suggest a few museums if you’re interested in that. There’s the art museum Ateneum and the Natural history museum which has some cool stuff as well.

There’s also a fair bit of old architecture around, so just strolling around could be fun as well.

EDIT: OH! OH! You have to try Finnish sauna while you’re here! If you don’t have one at your hotel, here are some public swimming halls and such: http://www.visithelsinki.fi/en/see-and-experience/activities-in-helsinki/swimming-and-saunas

Wakacha

Yeah I will be there with my (I hate that this translates like this) “wife in common-law marriage” Have been a silent watcher way too long its time to talk to the “gods”!

Wakacha

So anyone going to give ´em some finnish liqueurs? like Salmiakki vodka? :D I love it how everyone usually hates it.

grandsku
    Blocked

Torilla Tavataan!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

bonefoot

Updated the first post a bit. Very nice to see so many people are coming. I was afraid the short notice would eliminate most people.

I’m also planning on possibly going to Suomenlinna. I’ve never been there, but from what I’ve heard it’s definitely the number one place to visit around Helsinki, and the ferry leaves from the Market Square so it’s conveniently placed.

@grandsku Hell yeah!

errikx

I’m not really a restaurant connoisseur (and I rarely can go to bruch/buffet type places cuz I have celiac disease), but I can vouch for Sandro – the place is pretty amazing and reasonably priced too. It’s also very popular so table reservations might be in order (I’ve been there only once, but it’s very trendy place right now). I’ not sure if it is very quiet though, cuz that one time I was there (it was a friday evening) there was a DJ blasting music quite loud even though it’s a restaurant :D

I am definitely coming to the meet-up, but the restaurant thing is bit tricky for me because of my gluten intolerance (I’m allergic to beer kinda like Fraser). @bonefoot @missblow @ffstv If there is any possibility that you guys can pick a place that is also suited ppl with annoying allergies (like I do) that would be SO appreciated – but it is not necessary by any means.

jp874

Noooooo what are the chances, my cousin is getting married that exact date and I cant skip that.
    @urbanbanner I could have tagged along with you from Kajaani :(

zaccaro

I don’t know much about restaurants, but I do know the local bars since I’ve gone to most with friends. The few places to beer it up I would suggest are:
    Kaisla: located very near kauppatori. (oluthuone might be a familiar title finnish people here know, it translates to beerhouse but believe me it is meant to be sophisticated in name) The place is nice, in every way, there’s also large tables and I could go ask for a reservation for an hour or two, the place has tabletop games because it is as much about just hanging around. They offer some exquisite beers and ciders from all across europe.

Villi Väinö: I’m not too sure about this one but that might just be because the novelty has outgrown me. This is a Viking themed bar that has also finnish popular music playing on the background. The music does get irritating atleast to me but thankfully it is only on the “basement”. It has a decent variety of drinks to offer.

I’d like to offer a more varied list but I guess I am being too critical so here’s a few choices I thought of but don’t want to suggest unless someone else thinks they work too:
    Prkl-klubi (Metal music themed club near kauppatori too but I think the music is too loud and the lighting too dark)
    Molly Malone’s (The place is great and also near Kauppatori, but there might be a line to get in, and it is an Irish bar so… Maybe not?)
    Praha (This one has no real novelty to it but it is a cozy place that’s near Kauppatori.)

As for the restaurants and such, I am all for that Fazer-coffee thing at some point during the day, looking forward for this!

EDIT: I forgot to mention: Kaisla is very near to where we could enter the Booze-tram, though, I’ve never been on it so that would be a fun way to explore the city itself since the route takes us around the place.

turmio

Holy crap! Awesome! I live about 200km from Helsinki. I can take a train and come meet you there! ^^
    I’ve never actually been to Helsinki since I was a kid and took a school trip there.

Do you have a more concrete time of day when the meet up will happen? So I can book a train ticket right away.

I’ll hang around for saturday but I’ll have to head back in the evening propably so I can be ready to work monday. Also I don’t really drink alcohol (I know, what sort of a Finn am I?!) so no beering for me. I’ll keep you company though. :P

bonefoot

@turmio No time of day has been set yet. What do you think @missblow or @ffstv?

travelersf

Also I don’t really drink alcohol (I know, what sort of a Finn am I?!) so no beering for me. I’ll keep you company though. :P

@turmio No worries mate, I don’t really drink either! I just can’t stand the very basic taste of alcohol, it’s far to bitter for me. I can force down a pint or two while in a company, but no more and not anything stronger than that.

Viewing 30 replies - 1 through 30 (of 312 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.